Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Can my Boyfriend come to Canada? - Common Law? 

kalencritchley
kalencritchley

Posted On: 1/15/2019
kalencritchley
kalencritchley
Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen, that is getting my teaching degree in South Dakota.

I met my boyfriend my first year of university. We will both graduate in May 2019 after five years of school. I plan to return to Canada. I am confused on the permanent resident process.

Can my boyfriend come back to Canada with me, then go through the process of permanent resident, while living with me?

Or does he need to be a permanent resident before entering Canada. I am not sure if we would be eligible as common law either?

We have been dating for 3.5 years and have lived to get this past year.

I went home for the summer (Canada) to work for 2.5 months but we both still payed for our apartment, and he lived in it for those two months while I was working back in Canada. I do not know if that would affect common law status?
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 1/16/2019
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
Hello,

You can either start the sponsorship process from outside or from inside Canada.
It is highly recommended that if your common-law partner decided to come back with you to Canada to keep his/her immigration status valid before starting the sponsorship application and during the process.
You should check the following link for detailed info regarding the sponsorship of a family member:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html
And please check also the following link in connection on how can my common-law partner and I prove we have been together for 12 months?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=347&top=14

Have a nice day
link