Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Foreign Trained Canadian Citizen Doctor 

Fetz84
Fetz84

Posted On: 3/18/2019
Fetz84
Fetz84
I am a Canadian born citizen who received his medical training outside Canada. I'm married to a US citizen and have a US citizen child. We will all be returning to Canada shortly to continue my medical practice.

What is the expected processing time for my spouse to receive Permanent Residency status that would enable her to work in Canada?

Can she work here while the paperwork is being processed?

Are there any other immigration requirements for my spouse and child to complete before moving here?

Can they move here with me before that paperwork is completed and needed permits received?

Does the 3 month wait period to receive OHIP coverage only start once she receives Permanent Residency status?

Do the same timelines apply to my child?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/20/2019
PMM
PMM
Hi

Fetz84 wrote:
I am a Canadian born citizen who received his medical training outside Canada. I'm married to a US citizen and have a US citizen child. We will all be returning to Canada shortly to continue my medical practice.

What is the expected processing time for my spouse to receive Permanent Residency status that would enable her to work in Canada?

Can she work here while the paperwork is being processed?

Are there any other immigration requirements for my spouse and child to complete before moving here?

Can they move here with me before that paperwork is completed and needed permits received?

Does the 3 month wait period to receive OHIP coverage only start once she receives Permanent Residency status?

Do the same timelines apply to my child?

1. You don't have to sponsor your child, s/he is already a Canadian citizen via decent (you say you were born in Canada) so all you have to do is apply for proof of citizenship for the child.

2. Assuming you will submit an "in Canada" spousal application, the posted processing time is 12 months. You can submit a Spousal open work permit for your spouse with the application, which would allow her to work about 4 months into the process.

3. Yes, they can be admitted as visitors, but if they show up with all their worldly possession, you might run into a "sticky" CBSA officer, who may decide your spouse's intention is to remain permanently, rather than visit.

4. Yes, she is only eligible for OHIP once she is a PR.
link