Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Applying for Canadian Citizenship/Eligibility 

pianistsoojilee
pianistsoojilee

Posted On: 3/24/2019
pianistsoojilee
pianistsoojilee
Hello, my name is SooJi .

I am currently living in the States for my studies.

I am trying to apply for the Canadian citizenship, but I have a question.

I have lived in Victoria BC Canada for 6 and half years, attended middle, high school and received high school diploma in 2013.

I have read one of the eligibilities of applying for citizenship, saying that if I have spent 2 years of 5 years in Canada prior to my application, it is possible for me to submit my application.

Again, I left Canada in 2013, but I moved to Victoria in 2007 and lived there for 6 and 1/2 years and now trying to become a Canadian citizen.

Please let me know what to do, or what the next steps are, or if there are any necessary documents I need to provide as a proof. Thank you in advance, SooJi.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/26/2019
PMM
PMM
pianistsoojilee wrote:
Hello, my name is SooJi .

I am currently living in the States for my studies.

I am trying to apply for the Canadian citizenship, but I have a question.

I have lived in Victoria BC Canada for 6 and half years, attended middle, high school and received high school diploma in 2013.

I have read one of the eligibilities of applying for citizenship, saying that if I have spent 2 years of 5 years in Canada prior to my application, it is possible for me to submit my application.

Again, I left Canada in 2013, but I moved to Victoria in 2007 and lived there for 6 and 1/2 years and now trying to become a Canadian citizen.

Please let me know what to do, or what the next steps are, or if there are any necessary documents I need to provide as a proof. Thank you in advance, SooJi.

1. First question is are you are a Permanent Resident of Canada? If not you can't apply for citizenship.
2. If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period. If you left Canada in 2013 and haven't returned, you no longer meet the Residency obligations.
3. To apply for citizenship, you must be a Permanent Resident, have resided in Canada for 3 of the previous 5 years on the date you apply. You obviously don't meet that criteria.

4. If you are not a Permanent resident, then you should be looking at applying for Permanent Residency under the Express Entry. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html
link