Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

PR Status: Returning to Canada after 2 Years in UK 

aph353
aph353

Posted On: 4/1/2019
aph353
aph353
Hi,

I obtained Permanent Residence and landed in Canada on 4th February 2010 and have lived and worked in Canada during this time.

In 1st November 2017, I returned to the UK to Scotland for personal reasons. I intend to return to Canada in February 2020.

After the initial 5 years in Canada, I renewed my PR Card in April 2015 and it is due for renewal in April 2020. I intend to return to Canada before my PR Card expires.

I believe with PR Status you need to be physically resident in Canada for 2 years (730 days) out of the most recent 5 year period (1825 days) in order to meet the Residency obligations.

And can live up to 3 years (1095 days) outside of Canada in the most recent 5 year period.

On my calculations of deducting all my lists of absences from the most recent 5 year period on my date of return of 4th February 2020.

I would have been away from Canada for a total of 930 days.

So I subtract 930 days from 1825 days.

This gives me 895 days of physical presence living inside Canada out of that 5 year period. Therefore I am meeting the residency obligations.

Am I calculating this correctly? I also used CIC's physical presence calculator.

I checked on the CIC website and I could not find anything about notifying them of being away for an extended period of time. They simply state to be aware of meeting the residency obligations.

Should I contact them to let them know of my intentions?

Also, what should I bring to Canada in case they question my length of being outside of Canada? I have financial assets of an RRSP that is locked until my retirement date. Can this be used to show the intentions of Canada being my permanent home?

Since I have been outside of Canada for more than 6 months should I get a police certificate and bring it with me before I return to Canada?

Thanks.
link
Amy
Amy

Posted On: 5/27/2019
Amy
Amy
Hi,
I am a Canadian PR card holder, I have spent 8 months outside Canada due to my studies. Now I am planning to return to canada for a few months.

I have the similar question:-

1) What should I bring to Canada in case they question my length of being outside of Canada?

2) Since I have been outside of Canada for more than 6 months should I get a police certificate and bring it with me before I return to Canada?

Thanks.
link