Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Advice on handling tenant/neighbour dispute 

mac247ca
mac247ca

Posted On: 7/19/2019
mac247ca
mac247ca
I rent out one of my units to a young adult who is going to school. The lease is co-signed by his father. On the surface, he is polite and courteous and seems to be respectful kid. I have had no issues or heard no issues regarding his tenancy since he moved in in March.
Until recently. Just over a month ago, I received a complaint from the concierge telling me that his neighbor has complained about excessive noise late into the night and they asked for me contact to follow up with them. I asked concierge for the reports and went over it with them. According to them, there was noise coming from my unit but they were respectful and toned down after being approached. They relayed to me that it was nothing more than a bunch of friends having a chat.
I contacted my tenant to let him know about the complaints and he acknowledged that there was 2 times when concierge came up to speak with them and they corrected the problem immediately and apologized. He went further and said that they are always banging on the walls and he wasn't sure why.
The neighbor eventually emailed me and told me that they were making lots of noise, late into the night, smoke lots of weed and all in all disrupting their lives. They say that their children are allergic to weed and get headaches and vomit from the contact with it. I notified them that I have talked to the tenant about respecting the fact that he does have neighbors and just be for mindful of that fact.
This appeased them for the time being and there were no complaints for about a month and a bit. I followed up last week to see how things were going and they seemed happier. Still small complaints but overall the situation seemed to have improved.
This morning, i received an email saying that for the past couple days they have encountered a lot of Marijuana smoke and the kids have headaches and vomiting from the smoke. I again followed up with the tenant and he told me that he was out of town since yesterday afternoon.
I replied to the neighbour and informed her of this and suggested that she possible close the window or block off the bottom of the front door as this is the only way for smoke to enter the unit.
I understand that this is tough for the family but I was just wondering what can I do in this situation. From my investigation it doesn't seem like they are doing anything that is THAT crazy. And if they are only smoking on the patio (which they say they are) then I think this is completely reasonable. I feel like I have intervened as much as I am comfortable intervening in this situation.
I guess I'd like to know what kind of recourse can they take regarding this situation that goes above me as a landlord? And how I can amicably handle this situation?
Thank you in advance.
link

Posted On: 7/19/2019
Hello,

Thank you for using our forum.

In regards to your question, you might find useful information in:

Landlord’s Self-Help Centre - https://landlordselfhelp.com/

Landlord and Tenant Board - http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb/

We hope that you will find these resources helpful.

Thank you,
Settlement.Org

mac247ca wrote:
I rent out one of my units to a young adult who is going to school. The lease is co-signed by his father. On the surface, he is polite and courteous and seems to be respectful kid. I have had no issues or heard no issues regarding his tenancy since he moved in in March.
Until recently. Just over a month ago, I received a complaint from the concierge telling me that his neighbor has complained about excessive noise late into the night and they asked for me contact to follow up with them. I asked concierge for the reports and went over it with them. According to them, there was noise coming from my unit but they were respectful and toned down after being approached. They relayed to me that it was nothing more than a bunch of friends having a chat.
I contacted my tenant to let him know about the complaints and he acknowledged that there was 2 times when concierge came up to speak with them and they corrected the problem immediately and apologized. He went further and said that they are always banging on the walls and he wasn't sure why.
The neighbor eventually emailed me and told me that they were making lots of noise, late into the night, smoke lots of weed and all in all disrupting their lives. They say that their children are allergic to weed and get headaches and vomit from the contact with it. I notified them that I have talked to the tenant about respecting the fact that he does have neighbors and just be for mindful of that fact.
This appeased them for the time being and there were no complaints for about a month and a bit. I followed up last week to see how things were going and they seemed happier. Still small complaints but overall the situation seemed to have improved.
This morning, i received an email saying that for the past couple days they have encountered a lot of Marijuana smoke and the kids have headaches and vomiting from the smoke. I again followed up with the tenant and he told me that he was out of town since yesterday afternoon.
I replied to the neighbour and informed her of this and suggested that she possible close the window or block off the bottom of the front door as this is the only way for smoke to enter the unit.
I understand that this is tough for the family but I was just wondering what can I do in this situation. From my investigation it doesn't seem like they are doing anything that is THAT crazy. And if they are only smoking on the patio (which they say they are) then I think this is completely reasonable. I feel like I have intervened as much as I am comfortable intervening in this situation.
I guess I'd like to know what kind of recourse can they take regarding this situation that goes above me as a landlord? And how I can amicably handle this situation?
Thank you in advance.
link