Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

can my son get a canadian citizenship? 

gigo07
gigo07

Posted On: 7/23/2019
gigo07
gigo07
Hello

My father was born in Canada in 1947. Immigrated outside if canada when I was born (1973), He issued me with a Canadian citizenship. My eldest daughter was born in 2005 I made a request for citizenship for her and was easily accepted.

I was realy upset that the Canadians laws were changed on 4.2009 and according to the embassy in my country, I cant submit a request that the law is different and my son is not entitled to citizenship unless he lives in Canada for several years.
some importent questions

1) Is it possible to get citizenship through the grandfather ? (my father?)
My father, who was born in Canada, could he fulfill a request for a grandchild?

2) I got a canadian citizenship (outside of canada) many years before my son was born, when he was born i was allready a canadian citizen... maybe thaf can help...

3) Is there another way, perhaps to argue that it is problematic for a father and daughter to have a citizenship and my son (the same family) without citizenship??

4) Maybe a sponsor? In my understanding, sponsorship still requires him to travel for a few years in Canada.

I would be happy to help you if there is any way to prevent "discrimination"
My son vs daughter ??

Thanks in advance
link

Hello,

Thank you for using our forum.

In regards to your question, you might find useful information in:

How do I apply for Canadian Citizenship? - https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/citizenship/apply-for-canadian-citizenship/how-do-i-apply-for-canadian-citizenship/

I am Canadian but my children were born outside Canada. Are they Canadian? - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=365&top=5

Permanent Residence - https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/permanent-residence/

You may also want to inquire with a lawyer or certified immigration consultant for case specific question https://settlement.org/ontario/legal-services/lawyers-and-other-legal-help/find-a-lawyer/should-i-get-help-with-my-immigration-application-from-an-immigration-consultant-or-lawyer/

We hope that you will find this information useful.

Thank you,
Settlement.Org

gigo07 wrote:
Hello

My father was born in Canada in 1947. Immigrated outside if canada when I was born (1973), He issued me with a Canadian citizenship. My eldest daughter was born in 2005 I made a request for citizenship for her and was easily accepted.

I was realy upset that the Canadians laws were changed on 4.2009 and according to the embassy in my country, I cant submit a request that the law is different and my son is not entitled to citizenship unless he lives in Canada for several years.
some importent questions

2) I got a canadian citizenship (outside of canada) many years before my son was born, when he was born i was allready a canadian citizen... maybe thaf can help...

3) Is there another way, perhaps to argue that it is problematic for a father and daughter to have a citizenship and my son (the same family) without citizenship??

4) Maybe a sponsor? In my understanding, sponsorship still requires him to travel for a few years in Canada.

My son vs daughter ??

Thanks in advance
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

gigo07 wrote:
Hello

some importent questions

My son vs daughter ??

Thanks in advance

1. No.
2. No, as your son is a 2nd generation born abroad which as 2009 could not obtain citizenship through descent.

3. No, the law is the law.
4. You would have to be residing in Canada to sponsor him for Permanent Resident. For citizenship, he would have to remain in Canada for 3 years in the 5 years prior to his application for citizenship.
5. If you feel that the law is discriminatory, your only recourse is the Federal Court of Canada.
link