Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Can my Son get Canadian Citizenship? 

Posts: 507

Posted On: 7/30/2019
Posts: 507

My father was born in Canada in 1947. Immigrated outside if canada when I was born (1973), He issued me with a Canadian citizenship. My eldest daughter was born in 2005 I made a request for citizenship for her and was easily accepted.

I was really upset that the Canadians laws were changed on 4.2009 and according to the embassy in my country, I cant submit a request that the law is different and my son is not entitled to citizenship unless he lives in Canada for several years.

Some important questions:

1) Is it possible to get citizenship through the grandfather ? (my father?)
My father, who was born in Canada, could he fulfill a request for a grandchild?

2) I got a Canadian citizenship (outside of Canada) many years before my son was born, when he was born i was already a Canadian citizen... maybe that can help...

3) Is there another way, perhaps to argue that it is problematic for a father and daughter to have a citizenship and my son (the same family) without citizenship??

4) Maybe a sponsor? In my understanding, sponsorship still requires him to travel for a few years in Canada.

I would be happy to help you if there is any way to prevent "discrimination"

My son vs daughter ??

Thanks in advance
Posts: 3252

Posted On: 8/28/2019
Posts: 3252

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be interested in finding out what the options are for your child. We can appreciate that you would be frustrated with this situation.

You may find some helpful information on the Immigration, Refugees and Canadian Citizenship (IRCC) website in the See if you may be a citizen section.

Here is an excerpt,

You are probably a Canadian citizen if…
  • you were born in Canada,
  • you applied for and received your Canadian citizenship (this is called becoming a naturalized citizen),
  • you received Canadian citizenship as a minor when a parent or legal guardian naturalized you by applying for your citizenship,
  • you were born outside Canada and at least one of your parents was born in Canada,
  • you were born outside Canada and at least one of your parents was naturalized in Canada before your birth, or
  • you became a citizen because of changes to the Citizenship Act.

You may also want to try and use the Am I Canadian? tool .

We have had some of our users previously state that they have been able to contact IRCC from abroad by dialing 1 613 944 4000. Listen to the options to get to IRCC. Then you should be transferred to the IRCC Call Centre.

Please note though that some have reported that it did not work for them or that it is no longer working.

You may want to give it a try.

Long distance charges will apply.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.
Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CCRS, CCRS-DC