Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Returning to Canada 

CynCardew
CynCardew

Posted On: 11/1/2019
CynCardew
CynCardew
I'm a Canadian married to an English man (UK) and together we have 2 Canadian Children, both born in Canada. We've lived in France for 7 years.

My husband had a Permanent Resident Card in Canada but as it had expired while we were living in France, as we were planning a visit back to Canada, he needed to renounce it in order to apply for an ETA. We plan on moving back permanently next year, will he have to reapply for a Permanent Resident Card all over again?
If yes, can he start the application process from France before our return? Knowing he'd have to go back to Canada for appointments or signing paperwork.
For me and the kids, do we just start on paperwork (licence, healthcard etc) once we return?
Thanks for any help or advice.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 11/1/2019
PMM
PMM
Hi

CynCardew wrote:
I'm a Canadian married to an English man (UK) and together we have 2 Canadian Children, both born in Canada. We've lived in France for 7 years.

My husband had a Permanent Resident Card in Canada but as it had expired while we were living in France, as we were planning a visit back to Canada, he needed to renounce it in order to apply for an ETA. We plan on moving back permanently next year, will he have to reapply for a Permanent Resident Card all over again?
If yes, can he start the application process from France before our return? Knowing he'd have to go back to Canada for appointments or signing paperwork.
For me and the kids, do we just start on paperwork (licence, healthcard etc) once we return?

Thanks for any help or advice.

1. No, the PR card is only the indication that a person has PR status, your spouse renounced his PR status. (He didn't have to do that, as he was accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse residing abroad he would have maintained his PR status, and only would have required a PR Travel Document to return to Canada) But that's water under the bridged.
2. You will have to sponsor him. As a Canadian citizen residing abroad you can start the process, but will have to demonstrate what steps you have made to return to Canada if he is issued a PR visa (COPR). \
3. If you sponsor abroad, any interviews would be held at the overseas processing office.

4. You and your children will (depending) on the Province where you intend to settle, will most likely have a 3 months waiting period for Health Insurance after your arrival. Depending on what Drivers License you hold, it will be a straight swap for a Provincial DL. DLs that can be swapped

• Austria

• Australia

• France

• Germany

• Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey

• Ireland

• Japan

• Netherlands

• Except former territories in Antilles: Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius, and St. Maarten.

• New Zealand

• South Korea (not motorcycles)

• Switzerland

• Taiwan (not motorcycles)

link