Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

How long after landing can I sponsor my family ? 

I_miss_soccer
I_miss_soccer

Posted On: 11/11/2019
I_miss_soccer
I_miss_soccer
Hi,

I received my Landing Documents for Canada about 5 years ago. I came and stayed for 2 months and then had to return to the UK urgently to look after a sick relative. Note: I am a British born citizen and hold high education certificates. Whilst in the UK I obtained employment and worked for 4 years. I also met my (now) wife and had a child. I married about 3 years ago.

After careful discussion with my wife, I returned to Canada in May 2019 with the intention to live here permanently and sponsor my family at earliest opportunity. Since I have been in Canada I have found employment in a qualified job role with good remuneration.

I know that I need to be present in Canada for 730 days to fulfill my PR residency requirements and can thereafter sponsor my family. However, my wife and child are now missing me extremely as I miss them. My wife is also a Brtish born citizen with a good civil service job in the UK.

Can I fill out their sponsorship forms prior to the 730 being completed...I have now been in Canada for 193 days.
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 11/12/2019
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
Hello,

I would like to know what is your current immigration status in Canada, and were you allowed to enter Canada as a PR after your long absence?
Those details will help to figure out if you can go ahead with your sponsorship application.
Lahbib

I_miss_soccer wrote:
Hi,

I received my Landing Documents for Canada about 5 years ago. I came and stayed for 2 months and then had to return to the UK urgently to look after a sick relative. Note: I am a British born citizen and hold high education certificates. Whilst in the UK I obtained employment and worked for 4 years. I also met my (now) wife and had a child. I married about 3 years ago.

After careful discussion with my wife, I returned to Canada in May 2019 with the intention to live here permanently and sponsor my family at earliest opportunity. Since I have been in Canada I have found employment in a qualified job role with good remuneration.

I know that I need to be present in Canada for 730 days to fulfill my PR residency requirements and can thereafter sponsor my family. However, my wife and child are now missing me extremely as I miss them. My wife is also a Brtish born citizen with a good civil service job in the UK.

Can I fill out their sponsorship forms prior to the 730 being completed...I have now been in Canada for 193 days.
link
I_miss_soccer
I_miss_soccer

Posted On: 11/12/2019
I_miss_soccer
I_miss_soccer
Hi Lahbib

I am not sure. I had no issues when I landed. In the last few months, I have had no issues re-instating my SIN number, Health Cover, Driving Licence, etc. Also, I've not had any issues with my employment or anything else.
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 11/18/2019
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
Hi,

The things you need to look at are; whether you PR card expired or not yet. If it's already expired, are you able to renew it?
If it is expired and you cannot renew it because of residency requirements, that would be a sign that an immigration officer would probably refuse your application to sponsor for residency reasons.
You can always contact IRCC customer services for current information about your issue.
Thank you
Lahbib
I_miss_soccer wrote:
Hi Lahbib

I am not sure. I had no issues when I landed. In the last few months, I have had no issues re-instating my SIN number, Health Cover, Driving Licence, etc. Also, I've not had any issues with my employment or anything else.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 11/18/2019
PMM
PMM
Hi

Lahbib70 wrote:
Hi,

The things you need to look at are; whether you PR card expired or not yet. If it's already expired, are you able to renew it?
If it is expired and you cannot renew it because of residency requirements, that would be a sign that an immigration officer would probably refuse your application to sponsor for residency reasons.
You can always contact IRCC customer services for current information about your issue.
Thank you
Lahbib
I_miss_soccer wrote:
Hi Lahbib

1. Agree with Lahbib. You can't sponsor your spouse and children until you are in compliance with your Residence Obligations, in other words, May 2021. If you try prior to this, there is a good chance the application would be refused, and CIC would take steps to report you for non compliance of your RO.
link
I_miss_soccer
I_miss_soccer

Posted On: 1/5/2020
I_miss_soccer
I_miss_soccer
Hi All. Thanks for your advice and replies.

I will now delay sponsoring my family until I have been here the full 730 days as per Residence Obligations.

Quick question.....once I fulfill the 730 days, is there a chance that my original absence (working in the UK) will be raised as an issue by CIC?
link