Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsoring my future wife 

Ralph
Ralph

Posted On: 1/17/2020
Ralph
Ralph
I need some help with my current situation. A few years ago my wife sponsored me but after a while, we separated and one of my travels to visit my family back home I divorced. I've got new girlfriend since a while and we are planning to get married, I know I need to wait 5 years in order to sponsor her but I need to know whether I need to notify my divorce in my born country here in Canada in order to be able to sponsor my future wife?
link

Posted On: 1/21/2020
Hi Ralph,

Thank you for reaching out to the Settlement.Org team, we would be happy to help you find this information.

According to Family Law Education for Women (FLEW) [PDF], your foreign divorce will generally be recognized by the Canadian government, if you or your spouse lived in the country where you got a divorce for at least 1 year before the start of the divorce proceedings.
If neither of you lived in the country for a year, your divorce may still be legal if the person who applied for the divorce can prove they have a “real and substantial connection” with the country.

For example, if it is your country of origin and you returned there after the divorce, or you own property or spend a lot of time there.

If you got a divorce outside of Canada, you must get authorization from the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services before you can get a marriage licence in Ontario.

This is an excerpt from the Settlement.Org article: Will my foreign divorce be recognized in Canada?.

Please visit Settlement.Org for more information about the sponsorship process and articles like How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child living outside of Canada?.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link