Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship 

Ola2019
Ola2019

Posted On: 1/28/2020
Ola2019
Ola2019
The sponsorship of my spouse have been completed and we had a baby during the sponsorship, we did informed CIC and also sent the Birth Certificate when they request for it during the spousal sponsorship. Country of Origin is Nigeria.

I have applied proof of citizenship for my daughter in Oct. 2019. We are afraid that the Permanent Residence visa might expire before we received the citizenship certificate for my daughter.

I was reading on line something about Facilitation visa, not too sure what that means or details about it.

Please advice.
link

Posted On: 2/24/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

According to the IRCC Help Centre:
If your card expires when you’re outside Canada, you still have your permanent resident (PR) status. To keep your PR status, you need to stay in Canada for a certain amount of time.

What happens if your PR card expires when you’re outside Canada depends on how you plan to return to Canada.
[...]
If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

If you are outside of Canada or plan to leave Canada and have immigration questions regarding your daughter, you may want to contact the IRCC Call Centre or use their web form.

Facilitation visas are issued only in particular cases which must meet certain criteria.
Some circumstances that might warrant the issuance of a facilitation visa include the following:
  • when new, replacement or emergency passports cannot be issued in a sufficiently timely fashion and where the travel is urgent:
    • for Canadians in distress (lost/stolen documents);
    • for dual nationals coming to Canada for the first time;
    • for dual nationals who did not obtain a Canadian passport prior to leaving Canada; and
  • for children born in Canada to foreign nationals who have returned to their country and do not wish to assert their Canadian citizenship acquired automatically at birth.
  • for children who go through the citizenship adoption process overseas and where their country of birth only allows them to leave on that country’s national passport.
  • for presumptive Canadians under the age of 18 who are coming to Canada either to reside with their Canadian parent(s) or for humanitarian and compassionate reasons as determined by the visa officer. The person must also be in possession of a valid foreign national passport or travel document in order for the facilitation visa to be issued. Satisfactory evidence (a Canadian birth certificate, citizenship certificate, etc.) must be presented to prove that at least one parent is Canadian and the visa officer must be satisfied of the parent-child relationship.

You may also want to contact a Lawyer or a reputable, registered Immigration Consultant who is familiar with Canadian immigration issues for some advice and assistance with this process.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link
Bofield8
Bofield8

Posted On: 9/19/2020
Bofield8
Bofield8
I understand that this is a relatively basic question, but I've been trying to get a clear answer for a while and can't seem to find it. My Great Grandfather was Quebecois from Yamaska, QC. Does that lend ANY weight to my application process for citizenship to Canada? Sorry if I sound naive, but I'm trying to be hopeful!
Thank you!

Be well,

Jim
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 9/20/2020
PMM
PMM
Hi

Bofield8 wrote:
I understand that this is a relatively basic question, but I've been trying to get a clear answer for a while and can't seem to find it. My Great Grandfather was Quebecois from Yamaska, QC. Does that lend ANY weight to my application process for citizenship to Canada? Sorry if I sound naive, but I'm trying to be hopeful!
Thank you!

Be well,

Jim

1. Probably not, but you can complete the Citizenship by descent app to see if you qualify. It will really depend on if either of your parents claimed citizenship by descent and when. See: https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/56/amicanadiansuisjecanadien/?lang=en&tui=auto
link