Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Potential citizenship for granddaughter of citizen 

johnsmom59
johnsmom59

Posted On: 3/7/2020
johnsmom59
johnsmom59
My grandmother was a Canadian citizen, born in 1876. In doing research on my genealogy, I found out that I potentially might be able to have dual citizenship due to the born before 2009 rule. What paperwork would I need as she was born during a time when there is only records online and what would I download to send in for being considered for citizenship? Thank you in advance, I have always loved and visited Canada often, its nice to know my family had roots there.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/9/2020
PMM
PMM
Hi

johnsmom59 wrote:
My grandmother was a Canadian citizen, born in 1876. In doing research on my genealogy, I found out that I potentially might be able to have dual citizenship due to the born before 2009 rule. What paperwork would I need as she was born during a time when there is only records online and what would I download to send in for being considered for citizenship? Thank you in advance, I have always loved and visited Canada often, its nice to know my family had roots there.

1. Take the "Am I a Canadian citizen test:https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/default.aspx
2. If neither of your parents claimed citizenship, it is unlikely you are a citizen.
link