Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Newcomer leaving & returning to Canada 

Glee2020
Glee2020

Posted On: 3/8/2020
Glee2020
Glee2020
Hello,

I did intial landing and received my PR card. Right now I am working in USA and planning to return to Canada this May. Just wondering what are the obligations for new immigrant, am I supposed to notify IRCC and CRA before I leave and return Canada? Otherwise, how does CRA determine my tax status? Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Glee.
link

Posted On: 3/23/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information.

For information specific to your situation on how to file your taxes, it is best that you contact the Canada Revenue Agency directly.

You can contact them using this phone number: 1-800-387-1193 (Canada and United States)

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Do I have to file a tax return?
Here is an excerpt:
Canadian residency for tax purposes is not the same as residency for immigration purposes.
What if I am outside of Canada?
According to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the most important factor in determining your residency in Canada for tax purposes is whether or not you maintain residential ties with Canada while you are abroad.
If you maintain residential ties in Canada, you may still be considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes. In this case, you have to pay Canadian income tax on your worldwide income.

There are helpful guides in this article that could also support you in determining residency status for tax purposes.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link
saraheidarimehr
saraheidarimehr

Posted On: 4/7/2020
saraheidarimehr
saraheidarimehr
I have landed in canada 4 years ago but I didn’t stay.
I am decided to come and stay permensntly and I want to send my personal belongings by ship.
They are used.
Am I alowed to do it?
Are these belongings exempt from tax?
link

Posted On: 4/28/2020
Hello There,

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I am immigrating to Canada. How do I bring my belongings with me?

You may be able to bring your belongings with you duty-free. To qualify, usually you must have owned, possessed, and used the goods before coming to Canada.
You also have to fill out a BSF186 - Personal Effects Accounting Document, where you list any goods with you and the goods that you will send later. If your goods are not listed on your original BSF186, they are not eligible for duty-free importation at a later time.
If you need more space to list your goods, you can type out your own list or fill out form BSF186A - Personal Effects Accounting Document.
Your list should state the goods and their value. Make a list of the goods that are with you and another list for those that will arrive later. It is good to have a copy each list.

The belongings you put on this form will be duty-free. However, as stated, if your goods are not listed on your original BSF186, they are not eligible for duty-free importation at a later time.

In case you plan on bringing belongings that were not disclosed, you may find additional guidance in the IRCC article, Bringing goods to Canada:
You don’t have to pay duty on:
  • books
  • linens
  • clothes
  • jewellery
  • antiques
  • furniture
  • silverware
  • musical instruments
  • gifts worth CDN $60 or less each
  • hobby tools and other hobby items
  • private collections of coins, stamps or art
  • appliances, such as a stove or refrigerator
You do have to pay duty on:
  • farm equipment
  • equipment you plan to use in:
    • contracting
    • construction
    • manufacturing
  • vehicles you plan to use for business
  • items you have bought on your way to Canada
  • items you have leased or rented
    • we don’t consider leased or rented items things that you own
If you’re not sure if you have to pay duty on some items, bring sales receipts and registration documents with you.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
arifmahmood24
arifmahmood24

Posted On: 1/10/2021
arifmahmood24
arifmahmood24
Hello,
I landed Canada on 23 oct , 2020 as permanent residency (spousal sponsorship ) but in December I came back Pakistan in emergency without my PR card because my PR card in process because my father was not feeling and I am very close to my father and I want to return Canada next month . Should I have to wait my PR card and my family Freind bring my PR card with him or should I apply PRTD but I was in Canada only one and half month I am very confused what I have to do
Regards
link

Posted On: 1/27/2021
Hi there,

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

Here is an excerpt:
Ideally, you should wait until you have your Permanent Resident (PR) card. If you must leave Canada, you should apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Canadian visa office abroad as soon as you reach your destination.
The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

Without a valid PR card, you will likely need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada. For information specific to your situation or advice on how to proceed with an application, you may want to contact your local visa office or IRCC via web form.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link