Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Job / Working

Finding a Job, Job Listings, Labour Market Information (LMI), Starting a Business, Social Insurance Number, Volunteering...

Unemployed Newcomer and Coronavirus quarantine 

LauraSulz
LauraSulz

Posted On: 3/18/2020
LauraSulz
LauraSulz
Hello,

I'm a newcomer from Brazil, I came with the Express Entry Program and did my landing the 04 march 2020, I have PR and SIN number.
I am qualified to work as a NOC-1242 - Legal Assistant, and I was trying to find an entry level job as a Waitress or Bartender, so I got a Smart Serve Certification last week.
But now I'm in quarantine because of coronavirus, and I can't find any jobs, because all bars/restaurants are closing. I tried calling YMCA to get help with my resume and learn how to write cover letters, but I got no answer since they are closed. I can't even print my resume to give it in person because Libraries are closed as well. So I'm unable to search for a job at this point.

I've been trying to apply for Legal Assistant jobs in Linkedin, but because I have no canadian experience, no one will hire me. So I'd like to know if I can apply for any government benefits during the Coronavirus crisis, like EI, at least until I can find my first job in Canada.
link
Irem
Irem

Posted On: 3/21/2020
Irem
Irem
Hi I am in the same situation did you received from anyone any reply?
Thank you in advance
link

Posted On: 3/27/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We understand why this would be of concern for you.

A number of settlement services are providing intake appointments online and over the phone in this time of need. You may want to connect with a settlement agency that provides employment services using our Services Near Me section. Settlement agencies can also help you find financial assistance options.

It may help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Settlement.Org also has a Financial Assistance section, where you can find information on various government programs and financial supports you may be eligible for.

If you haven’t been able to work yet you will not be eligible for Employment Insurance because you haven’t accumulated enough hours. You may be eligible for other financial assistance options, you can read more about the eligibility criteria here.

Please let us know if you have difficulty connecting with a settlement agency. Also, feel free to let us know if you have any more questions or have an update on your search. We would be happy to hear from you again. We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Tom
Tom

Posted On: 3/31/2020
Tom
Tom
Hello. I am a Canadian citizen. I've just returned to Canada (Toronto) after working abroad for many years. I've been looking for work in my field in IT which can be a prolonged process usually taking more than a month of several interviews followed by a background check. In the interim I was prepared to take any job just to be able to stay alive while continuing my job search. I found a telemarketing job, but it shut down after 3 days because of the virus. I was an independent contractor, not an employee. I haven't worked here long enough here to qualify for EI or CERB. What, if any, help can I get? This is new ground for me as I've never claimed benefits in my life.
link
Peta
Peta

Posted On: 4/13/2020
Peta
Peta
Hi there, I am in the same situation. I am very unsure as to what will happen to new immigrants who landed between late 2019 and March 2020. We are living off savings and unable to secure a job mostly due to Covid-19. The situation is very frightening.
link

Posted On: 5/22/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We understand that this is a difficult time to be finding work, we hope to provide you with some assistance by sharing some helpful information.

If you have not found work, you may be eligible for the Ontario Works benefit. This benefit provides people with financial and employment assistance while they continue their job search. You can read more about the eligibility criteria for Ontario Works here.

Settlement.Org also has a Financial Assistance section, where you can find information on various government programs and financial supports you may be eligible for.

You may want to connect with a settlement agency that provides employment services using our Services Near Me section. Settlement agencies can also help you find financial assistance options.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link