Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Dual nationality 

PthenT
PthenT

Posted On: 3/25/2020
PthenT
PthenT
Can Someone have dual nationality in Canada as I have heard that places such as India do nt allow this?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/25/2020
PMM
PMM
Hi

PthenT wrote:
Can Someone have dual nationality in Canada as I have heard that places such as India do nt allow this?

1. Canada allows dual citizenship, but a number of countries don't. For example if you are an Indian citizen, and then take out Canadian citizenship, you have 3 months to inform the Indian gov't. You then can obtain an OCI visa (Overseas Indian Citizen) that allows you to travel freely to India and reside there. But there are restrictions:

Restrictions imposed on OCI holders • Persons registered as OCI have not been given any voting rights; they are not allowed to stand for election to Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, and Legislative Assembly/Council. • They cannot hold constitutional posts such as President, Vice President, and Judge of Supreme Court/High Court etc. • OCI card holders cannot purchase agricultural or farm lands
link

Posted On: 3/26/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Do I have to give up my citizenship when I become Canadian? This article lists factors you should consider while deciding whether or not you want to pursue dual citizenship.

Here is an excerpt:
What should I consider about dual citizenship?
You might still have obligations to your other country of citizenship, even if you become Canadian. For example, you may have to pay tax or serve in the military.
You should take care when you travel. Some countries forbid you from travelling on more than one passport.
The Government of Canada recommends that you travel on your Canadian passport so that you can access Canadian consular support, if you need assistance. When you re-enter Canada on an international flight, you will also need to show your Canadian passport to prove that you are a citizen.

According to the IRCC Help Centre article, What is dual citizenship?
Every country decides whom it considers to be a citizen. If more than one country recognizes you as a citizen, you have dual citizenship.

You don’t apply for dual citizenship, and there is no related certificate. Canadians are allowed to take foreign citizenship while keeping their Canadian citizenship.

Ask the embassy of your country of citizenship about its rules before applying for Canadian citizenship.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link