Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

OHIP Processing for NEW PR holder amidst COVID-19 

Umapathy Murugan Rengalakshmi
Umapathy Murugan Rengalakshmi

Posted On: 3/25/2020
Hi All,
I came to Brampton, Ontario on 12th of March 2020 along with my family members (through Express Entry - PR). I am new entrant to Ontario. Immediately post my entry the condition of Covid 19 became very serious and the city has been locked down. I don't want to risk myself by reaching out to the service center in Brampton area in order apply for the OHIP.

I am came with my Family members (Spouse, daughter - 4.5 years, son- 6 months old).

As understood from the Ontario news, govt has leveraged the renewal of health cards, driving license for existing PR holders. However, would like to know how to apply for OHIP online. As per my knowledge, we have to fill the online form and need to hand over the same to the nearest service center along with three document proof as per the check list mentioned in the website. Considering the COVID 19 issue in Canada, would like to know if there is any possibility to get my OHIP processed online, if i could submit the valid documents online itself.

Pls let me know at the earliest.

Regards
Umapathy
link
Ash376
Ash376

Posted On: 4/5/2020
Ash376
Ash376
Hi, Hope you found your solution. If not, seems like you will have to call Service Ontario Infoline and they will guide you.

Quoted text: "
When your coverage startsOntario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. We will also cover the cost of COVID-19 services if you are uninsured and do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage.
If you applied for OHIP before March 19, 2020 and are currently in the three-month waiting period, your coverage started on March 19. If you need to seek medical treatment, call the ServiceOntario InfoLine at 1-866-532-3161 to have your OHIP effective date adjusted and a health card issued.
If you are self-isolating and cannot go to ServiceOntario to register for coverage, please contact ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161. INFOline staff will advise on next steps as appropriate. You will be registered for immediate OHIP coverage and provided with a transaction record to use to demonstrate your eligibility for OHIP until your health card arrives in the mail."

Link: https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card
link