Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeUniversity and College Education

Colleges, Universities and Institutes, Evaluating Educational Credentials...

Applying to Colleges/Universities 

rcrdo
rcrdo

Posted On: 3/26/2020
rcrdo
rcrdo
I am moving to Ontario, Canada during the summer. My dad is currently there under a work permit, and along with my mom, plans to apply for PR and eventually citizenship. I am currently a high school senior living in the United States, and I was wondering whether I should apply to Canadian schools as an international student or a Canadian resident since I plan on staying in Canada post-graduation. Thank you in advance.
link

Posted On: 4/22/2020
rcrdo wrote:
I am moving to Ontario, Canada during the summer. My dad is currently there under a work permit, and along with my mom, plans to apply for PR and eventually citizenship. I am currently a high school senior living in the United States, and I was wondering whether I should apply to Canadian schools as an international student or a Canadian resident since I plan on staying in Canada post-graduation. Thank you in advance.

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. This is an exciting time to be looking at colleges and universities. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Do I need a study permit? How do I apply?
If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, then you might need a study permit to study in Canada.

We can appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide detailed information regarding how to apply for a study permit.

You may want to seek the advice of a lawyer or a reputable, registered immigration consultant who is familiar with Canadian immigration and education issues for some advice and assistance with this process.

You may also find some helpful information on the website newyouth.ca -- an online community for immigrant and refugee youth all over Ontario.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link
inderme
inderme

Posted On: 7/22/2020
inderme
inderme
To respected Education management team ,

I am reaching out to you today to understand the procedure to be qualified for OSAP programs for new landed permanent residents as we want to apply through that . Me and my wife landed as PR from Dubai UAE this june 2020 and we both have masters degrees and she wants to pursue a course for early child care not sure what's more valuable part time or full time for her to practice her carrier here immediately ,She already has masters degree in Early child care and has experience teaching in Dubai UAE . We have seen some accelerated courses for 4 semesters humber college but confused which college or university to choose from which has the best demand for the above mentioned professional carrier in Canada and qualifies for OSAP funding .

We need to understand the eligibility of the course and the amount which will be allocated if it's approved for us to select the course and college depending on the grant and allowance budgets . Also will appreciate it if some guidance is shared in regards to the course in your college which suits well to her profile in your college she should look into .

I look forward to your guidance for us to start a wonderful life here in Canada .

Regards

Inderjeet Singh

link
Halac
Halac

Posted On: 8/5/2020
Halac
Halac
Hello,
I am currently completing a Master’s degree in International Business in the UK (I’m not a british citizen) and I need someone to advise me on what to do next, please. I am very interested in education and a career in Canada, but don’t know quite how to approach it. Can anyone please help with any information available? Thank you
link

Posted On: 8/18/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We hope to provide you with helpful information at this exciting time.

The eligibility criteria can vary between different college programs. You may want to browse the Ontario Colleges website for more information on the types of programs available in early child care.

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles How do I choose the right university or college for me? and 6 Tips for Choosing a Post-Secondary School. It may also help to speak with the admissions office to clarify any questions you may have about the program requirements and your wife’s eligibility.

Regarding who is eligible for OSAP,
Residency in Ontario
You must meet certain requirements to be considered a resident of Ontario for OSAP purposes. You may also be eligible if your spouse or parent(s) meet certain residency requirements.
If you do not meet OSAP's Ontario residency requirements you may still be eligible. You may have to provide a detailed explanation in your History of Canadian Residency form and submit the required documents that support your residency.
If you have lived in another province, you must contact that province's student assistance program.

You may also find it helpful to use OSAP's online aid estimator to give you an idea of how much financial assistance you could be eligible to receive from the Ontario Student Assistance Program.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link

Posted On: 8/18/2020
Halac wrote:
Hello,
I am currently completing a Master’s degree in International Business in the UK (I’m not a british citizen) and I need someone to advise me on what to do next, please. I am very interested in education and a career in Canada, but don’t know quite how to approach it. Can anyone please help with any information available? Thank you

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information.

You may want to seek the advice of an expert in employment counselling regarding how to navigate difficult conversations with potential employers. There are many community agencies that provide services to help newcomers find gainful employment; learn more by reading the Settlement.Org article, Why should I get help to find work?

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful, and are wishing you the best of luck in your job search.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link