Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

How do they calculate the Ontario Health Premium 

perlina
perlina

Posted On: 3/28/2020
perlina
perlina
I moved from Quebec to Ontario on June 2, 2016. OHIP began my coverage on Sept. 2 after the three month waiting period. I filed my taxes in Ontario and according to the calculation on my tax return, my accountant paid the OHIP for the entire year. However I now received a letter from Quebec stating that I owe them for the Quebec Health Premium for the period January 1 to September 2 while I was covered under their plan. So basically I am paying both provinces.

From a logical point of view I would have thought I should pay Quebec from January 1 to September 2 and paid Ontario from September 2 to December 31st.

Can someone explain how this process works. Thanks
link

Posted On: 5/7/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

According to the Ontario’s Ministry of Finance:

You pay the health premium if you are a resident of Ontario and your employment or pension income is more than $20,000 a year. In most cases the premium is automatically deducted from your pay or pension. It is included as part of the income taxes deduction on your pay stub.

If you don’t have taxes automatically deducted from your pay or pension, the premium is paid when you file your annual personal income tax and benefit return with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

If your income is $20,000 or less, you don’t need to pay the health premium.

If you believe there has been a deduction error with regard to your personal income tax and benefit return, it is best that you contact the Canada Revenue Agency directly. You can call the individuals tax enquiries line at 1-800-959-8281 to get tax information for individuals.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link