Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsored by my Wife 

Fock3r
Fock3r

Posted On: 4/9/2020
Fock3r
Fock3r
Hi,

So, its a crazy time just now with COVID-19. I understand everything will be on hold or going slower than normal. With that being said i really need help and advice on my situation just now.

I am from Scotland and arrived on a 2 year work Visa on March 12th 2018. I met my now wife through her cousins i went to school with while she was working in Europe, shes from Canada. After a year of being together she was coming back to Canada and i decided to apply for a work visa and come live with her here in Canada. Sept 24th 2019 we sent in our PR Spousal Application, knowing i had only 6 months left on my current Visa at the time. In December we received an extension from March 11th 2020 to May 18th 2020. Jan 6th 2020 we received an email to get my Medical done, i completed this on Jan 10th 2020. I checked my application status on Jan 17th 2020 and saw that my medical results have been received. Its not been 13 weeks since i completed this Medical and i am now only 6 weeks away from the extension expiring.

So my questions are:
1. Do i have to leave the country and stop working on May 18th if i still have not heard back? (depending on the COVID-19 of course)
2. Is it normal to wait that long after a medical? I was advised you should hear within 6-8 weeks.
3. Does anyone know if the government is still processing applications?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Braveheart :)
link

Posted On: 5/12/2020
Hello There Braveheart,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

1. Do i have to leave the country and stop working on May 18th if i still have not heard back? (depending on the COVID-19 of course)

It may be best to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration issues and family law for advice regarding your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

You may also want to write to a live chat operator on StepstoJustice.ca for legal information and referral options relevant to your situation. Their live chat feature can be found on the bottom right corner of every page.

2. Is it normal to wait that long after a medical? I was advised you should hear within 6-8 weeks.

COVID-19 has put a strain on wait times. For information specific to your application, it is best that you contact IRCC using their web form. Here is an excerpt from IRCC’s COVID-19 notice on Processing Times:

The impacts of COVID-19 have had an effect on our operations and our ability to respond to and process applications. We are therefore unable to provide processing timelines for specific applications at this time. Our current focus is on priority applications such as Canadians attempting to return to the country, vulnerable populations, and people who perform or support essential services, and we are trying to process those as quickly as possible.

IRCC is working on ways to finalize applications virtually. If you have a file in progress, check our website regularly for the most up to date information on the impacts of COVID on IRCC file processing.

3. Does anyone know if the government is still processing applications?

As stated above, IRCC is still working on ways to finalize applications virtually. If your file is in progress, it is likely still being processed. For information specific to your application, it is best that you contact IRCC using their web form. It usually takes 2-5 days for IRCC to respond, however wait times for a response may be longer due to the COVID-19 situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link