Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Passport during Citizenship test 

eric1973
eric1973

Posted On: 4/29/2020
eric1973
eric1973
I was wondering if I'm still allowed to attend the citizenship test with my passport which has been expired. Because of this pandemic, the embassy has stopped renewing passports; so I cannot apply for my new passport in time.

Meanwhile I can bring other identity documents such like driver license / healthy card/PR card and my expired passport, which all includes the stamps that my application specified.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 4/30/2020
PMM
PMM
Hi

eric1973 wrote:
I was wondering if I'm still allowed to attend the citizenship test with my passport which has been expired. Because of this pandemic, the embassy has stopped renewing passports; so I cannot apply for my new passport in time.
Meanwhile I can bring other identity documents such like driver license / healthy card/PR card and my expired passport, which all includes the stamps that my application specified.

1. It is not necessary to have a valid passport to attend the test.
link

Posted On: 5/12/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

In addition to PMM’s response, an expired passport is a valid identity document.

According to the IRCC article, Identity documents applicants must provide at citizenship interviews, hearings, and tests:
Each applicant must bring the following:
  • their Record of Landing [IMM 1000] or Confirmation of Permanent Residence [IMM 5292 or IMM 5509], and permanent resident card (PRC), where applicable;
  • one other identity document that includes a photograph (and preferably a signature);
  • all passports and travel documents in the applicant’s possession; and
  • the original of all supporting documents (birth certificate, legal change of name document, etc.) sent with the application.

All passports in your possession would include your expired passport.

We are wishing you the best of luck with this test, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article How can I prepare for the citizenship test?

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link