Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

COVID19 Pandemic Impact- Residency Requirements 

Wong
Wong

Posted On: 5/2/2020
Wong
Wong
I am a permanent resident since landing on 28 October 2015. I have stayed and accumulated 599 residency days in Canada. Still short of 131 days to meet/ maintain the residency days requirement for PR.

I have purchased a one way flight ticket in Malaysia to return to Canada on 28 March 2020 but was cancelled because of a travel ban on 18 March 2020 by Malaysia on all outbound and inbound flights because of the worldwide COVID 19 pandemic. The said travel ban is still in force.

As a consequence of this worldwide COVID 19 pandemic, international flights of all countries are either suspended or cancelled in an effort to contain the pandemic.
Due to the said Malaysia travel ban, uncertainties of international connecting flights availability and safety for travel, it appears that I will be unable to return to Canada by 15 June 2020 in order to fulfill the required balance of 131 residency days requirements.

I need advice as to which Canadian agency / department together with the right email address to appeal to, for a fair and reasonable extension of time in order to meet the required 131 residency days as I wish to maintain my PR status.

Thank you very much.
link

Posted On: 5/12/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

It is best that you contact IRCC using their web form to make a case-specific enquiry. It usually takes 2-5 days for IRCC to respond, however wait times for a response may be longer due to the COVID-19 situation.

You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration issues and family law for advice regarding your situation.

An update on Travel Restrictions as of May 6th, 2020 is that temporary foreign workers, some international students and approved permanent residents who haven’t yet landed are now able to enter Canada.

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check conducted by airlines before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

When you arrive in Canada, we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada.

Only people who provide essential services, for example, truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods, are exempt from the quarantine requirements.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
kmadi1970
kmadi1970

Posted On: 6/6/2020
kmadi1970
kmadi1970
Dear Sir/Madam,

I reside in South Africa and applied for PR in the Express Entry category through Ontario. As I may receive feedback anytime soon, I would like to know what will happen when my PR is approved? I know all the Visa Facilitation Centers are closed because of Covid-19. Will the IRCC give a grace period? I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Madi
link

Posted On: 6/29/2020
Hi Madi,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You can find updates on how IRCC plans to accommodate the current situation in the article, Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Immigration applicants. For information specific to your application, it is best that you contact IRCC directly using their web form. It usually takes 2-5 days for IRCC to respond, however wait times for a response may be longer due to the COVID-19 situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link