Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Job / Working

Finding a Job, Job Listings, Labour Market Information (LMI), Starting a Business, Social Insurance Number, Volunteering...

Legal to hire FT then not giving any shifts? 

Hanna
Hanna

Posted On: 5/12/2020
Hanna
Hanna
Hi,

I got hired by an agency for a temporary FT job at the hospital; the second day, they gave me my schedule until July 3rd. Unfortunately, the third day they told me to stay home, and the,y will contact me as they have a problem with the RH.
They never called me to update me about the situation.
So I contacted the agency who hired, they told me the hospital put on hold all the temporary FT job. I found out that the reason is that some permanent employees complained that we are stealing their jobs and getting better pay than them. That is a misunderstanding as the hospital asked the agency to hired ten people to help for two months only.

Now I don't have any hours, the hospital doesn't give an answer to the agency or me about if they need me anymore or not and I don't have any income.

Is it legal to hired for FT and 3 days after not giving you hours neither answers about what they plan to do?

What can I do? Because all I want is a job as everybody I need to pay my bills and through this pandemic, jobs are hard to find. Plus, with my employment status, I m not eligible for anything If I quit the job anyway.
link

Posted On: 6/1/2020
Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

According to the Steps to Justice article, Find out if Ontario's laws about hours of work apply to you
Ontario's Employment Standards Act (ESA) has minimum standards that employers must follow, including rules about hours of work.
But not all jobs are covered by the ESA. And in some cases, only parts of the ESA apply.

Use the Ministry of Labour's online tool called Industries and Jobs with Exemptions or Special Rules to find out if your job is covered and which parts of the ESA apply.

You can also call the Ministry's Employment Standards Information Centre at 1-800-531-5551, 416-326-7160, or 1-866-567-8893 (TTY).

It may be best that you call the Workers’ Action Centre at 416-531-0778 for information and help about your rights as a worker. You can also contact the Human Rights Legal Support Centre for free legal advice and information.

You may want to connect with a community legal clinic near you with experience in employment and human rights law. You can also write to an operator of Steps to Justice’s live chat for legal information located at the bottom-right corner of every page.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link