Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

IMM5444 

Rose
Rose

Posted On: 5/16/2020
Rose
Rose
I am filling the PR card application form (IMM5444) and I have the following questions. Hoping someone can share their experience:

• I am unable to fit all my travel history in the space provided in the form. I do not understand the instructions "print out additional page containing the appropriate section, complete it and submit it with your application". Should I recreate the table rows and columns on a word document and include all the information there and indicate "see attached document" in the space provided in the form? or should I reprint the exact page and cross out all the other questions?
  • Where should I add the additional sheets? After the last page of the form or after the page where the question is?
  • Should I indicate the "From" date based on when I left Canada or when I entered the other country. For example, I left Canada on 2-Jan and I entered the other country I am visiting on 3-Jan because of the long flight time. Which date should I include?
  • How should I count the number of days? Do I include the from and to days in the count?
  • Under the travel history question, how should I indicate the period to be assessed? I know that "from" will be the day I became a PR, but what about "to", what date should I put? Should it be the day I am sending the application or should I just say 'present'?

• Thank you
    link
    Rose
    Rose

Posted On: 5/21/2020
    Rose
    Rose
    Hi Moderator,

Please help with my inquiry. The one thing that is confusing me the most is I am unable to fit all my travel history in the space provided in the form. I do not understand the instructions "print out additional page containing the appropriate section, complete it and submit it with your application". Should I recreate the table rows and columns on a word document and include all the information there and indicate "see attached document" in the space provided in the form? or should I reprint the exact page and cross out all the other questions?

Where should I add the additional sheets? After the last page of the form or after the page where the question is?

Thanks,
    Heba
    link

Posted On: 5/22/2020
    Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Regarding additional pages:
    According to the Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) - First application, replacement, renewal or to change gender identifier (IMM 5445) Guide “If you need more space for any section, print out an additional page with the appropriate section. Fill out this page and submit it with your application.” This would mean printing out an extra copy of the page you need to complete. In your case, it would be the page with the travel history section.

Regarding the period to be assessed:
    You must list all your absences from Canada in the last five (5) years, or since becoming a permanent resident if less than five (5) years ago. Fill in the dates of the time that should be assessed.

The past five years are being assessed unless you have been a permanent resident for less than five years. “If you became a permanent resident less than five (5) years ago, list the absences from the time you became a permanent resident to present.”

Regarding the days spent outside of Canada calculation:

IRCC has a travel journal resource to help you keep track and record your trips outside of Canada. In this travel journal, the date of departure from Canada as “from” and date of return to Canada as “to”.

According to IRCC’s Physical Presence Calculator, the date of arrival and date of departure are both considered days you are present in Canada and may be excluded from your calculation for the number of days outside Canada. Please note, the intended use of this calculator is to calculate physical presence for citizenship applications. The residency requirement for citizenship requires physical presence in Canada for 1,095 days.

You may want to contact IRCC using their web form to make a case-specific inquiry. You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation and help with your application.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
    link