Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Being evicted during pandemic 

Sarah
Sarah

Posted On: 5/19/2020
Sarah
Sarah
Hello,
The house that I've been renting for 7 years has been sold and I was given an eviction notice the first of April for the end of June. I of course am laid off due to the pandemic and therefore cannot get another place to live. I'm wondering about my rights as far as rent payments...I have this month and next and am assuming that I would have a month free due to first/last months rent when I moved in here. Is there anything else I'm missing in this regard? Hoping to save some money so I can find a place to live.
Thank you.
link

Posted On: 6/2/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

In paying your first and last month's rent up-front, your last month in your home is already paid for.

You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

You may also find helpful information in the Steps to Justice article My landlord wants to evict me because they are selling the place. What should I do? and other articles regarding rent.

It may also be helpful to connect with housing assistance services near you. Community agencies that provide housing assistance services will be able to support you in finding suitable accommodation for the short-term and long-term.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link