Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeProfessions and Trades

Information and questions related to employment in professions and trades, regulated and unregulated, in Ontario.

Employment Insurance 

sazhagia
sazhagia

Posted On: 5/24/2020
sazhagia
sazhagia
Hello,

I been moved into Canada Jun 2008 and working full time(salaried) since then until now...With Current situation I been asked for take short working hours until August ( 1 week off each month).

From what I read on EI I should have enough insurance hours worked(52 weeks), however I am not sure about as whether I can use EI benefits for one week for next 3 months? Can someone guide me on this? I been getting mixed advises and not sure I understood things fully from EI Website.

My HR says best ways to handle is using my vacation time but my manager says I am likely eligible for EI benefits so I can use vacation days when really needed....

Can some one have experience in EI claims please help me to understand this. Am I eligible to use EI benefits for 7 days each month for next three months? if so what I supposed to get from My HR to avail this. Please Advise. much Appreciated.
link

Posted On: 6/3/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may find helpful information in the Steps to Justice article, Can I get Employment Insurance (EI) if my employer reduces my hours of work?

Here is an excerpt:
Employment Insurance (EI) benefits may be available if your employer reduces your hours of work. Workers are eligible to apply for EI Special Benefits if their weekly income goes down by 40% because they are ill, injured, quarantined, pregnant, or have to care for a child or family member with a serious medical condition.

Many settlement agencies can help you with your EI application. You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Steps to Justice has more information on Employment Insurance that may be helpful. Here are also some Settlement.Org articles on Employment Insurance for more information.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link
jellybelly12
jellybelly12

Posted On: 10/29/2020
jellybelly12
jellybelly12
Thank you I’m in similar situation
link

Posted On: 10/29/2020
jellybelly12 wrote:
Thank you I’m in similar situation

You are very welcome. I hope you found the information helpful. Feel free to follow up with us regarding your situation, and if you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them on the discussion forum here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Paul Grodkowski
Paul Grodkowski

Posted On: 3/8/2022
Paul Grodkowski
Paul Grodkowski
Hi there everyone!

This is almost shocking to me. I am surprised that there is a forum about employment insurance at all. I had been having a conversation with an immediate family member and was told very cursory that employment insurance no longer exists and that it has not for quite some time. I was surprised to see on a paystub that E.I. premiums are still, in fact, deducted. This is as I was working for one of Canada's top one hundred employers. I am just as confused as it seems as are the others on this forum. Maybe there is someone on here that can shed some light on the situation.

Confused.
link

Posted On: 3/31/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your inquiry with us.

You may find helpful information on how Employment Insurance works in Ontario and how to claim E.I. in our Employment Insurance section. The eligibility requirements for Employment Insurance (EI) depend on where you live and what kind of benefits you apply for. You can find out about the eligibility requirements in the Settlement.Org article, Am I eligible for Employment Insurance? which covers the different forms of E.I. (maternity leave, sickness benefits, etc.)

Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link