Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Applying for citizenship during COVID-19 

yariga
yariga

Posted On: 6/5/2020
yariga
yariga
Hi!

My family and I are permanent residents having the time required to become citizens. Unfortunately, the pandemic hit while I was in the process of compiling our papers, I was hoping someone can help with the following questions:

- My wife has started university this year and has not completed studies yet. Would proof of ongoing studies be sufficient or must she complete?
- In the event where a married couple applies ( together with their children) - do both parents need to provide sufficient English skills, or is sufficient for just one of them? (As I have credentials)
- My wife has enrolled for Celpip test but as of the moment it is cancelled until further notice. Is there an online option to be tested for credentials?

Kind regards,
Yariv
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 6/7/2020
PMM
PMM
Hi

yariga wrote:
Hi!

My family and I are permanent residents having the time required to become citizens. Unfortunately, the pandemic hit while I was in the process of compiling our papers, I was hoping someone can help with the following questions:

- My wife has started university this year and has not completed studies yet. Would proof of ongoing studies be sufficient or must she complete?
- In the event where a married couple applies ( together with their children) - do both parents need to provide sufficient English skills, or is sufficient for just one of them? (As I have credentials)
- My wife has enrolled for Celpip test but as of the moment it is cancelled until further notice. Is there an online option to be tested for credentials?

Kind regards,

Yariv

1. She doesn't have to prove ongoing studies, but if she wishes to use her studies as proof of English, she probably needs completion.
2. Both require proof of language.
3. No, there is no on line tests available.
link
torgias
torgias

Posted On: 7/1/2020
torgias
torgias
Hi all,
I was born in the US, and grew up in Canada from the age of 2 years old. I became a permanent resident through my mother, in 1969 but never got my citizenship. I married a Canadian citizen in 1987, but now we live in the US because I took a job in 2006 and moved there.
I would like to get my Canadian citizenship but not sure where I fall in terms of eligibility. Having lived in Canada 42 years, do I still qualify now that I live in the US for the last 12 years? My husband is Canadian and so are my sons. If anyone has similar situations or know how I can do this, please let me know.
link

Posted On: 8/13/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You have a few options in your situation. You may want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

Here is an excerpt on the eligibility criteria for applying for citizenship from the article, How do I apply for citizenship?:
In order to apply for Canadian citizenship you must:
  • Provide proof that you know how to speak and write in 1 of Canada's official languages (either English or French)
  • Be a Permanent Resident (PR)
  • Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 1,095 days out of the 5 years before you apply
  • Have filed your taxes for at least 3 years during the last 5 years and any income tax you may owe must be paid

If you do not meet this eligibility criteria and are looking for information on pathways to permanent residence, you may find helpful information in the article How can I apply to immigrate to Ontario?.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link