Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

A eviction notice was given to our family 

Shaylynn
Shaylynn

Posted On: 6/30/2020
Shaylynn
Shaylynn
I received an eviction notice last night from a paralegal. It states my landlord would like my family unit to vacate his property by August 31st.
(I did not pay rent in April or May, and paid $500 in June).
I have asked to reduce the rent, he won’t, and or defer rent, he won’t, until l return back to work...hopefully to the same job).
Also, in the eviction notice states “property damage”. This is not true. Prior to the pandemic, a complete home-check was given. A door was broken, but my handy guy fixed it, and basement was completely sorted, decluttered and in tip top shape.
He returned to see the change and the home is clean, tidy and no damage whatsoever.

I have rented this property since December 2017, and paying $1900 each month without fail and always on time.

I am self employed, small cleaning business owner, and as of April 1st, all clients cancelled service until further notice. I hope to resume in September, however with the uncertainty of Covid 19, comes the uncertainty of my job/money.

What are my rights at this time? And what are my next steps to avoid eviction, if possible?
Plus, l am not sure if l should keep the $500 that l was going to pay him for July, if l am being evicted. I will need money for moving expenses. And not sure where we could go with limited money???
And, prior to the eviction was continuous texts for payment...so l fear this will continue, along with “he wants us out” texts.

If you could provide any assistance in this matter, l would truly appreciate it.
link

Posted On: 7/3/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may find helpful information in the Steps to Justice article, I was not able to pay my rent this month and my landlord is threatening to evict me. What can I do? Here is an excerpt:

Landlords can’t evict you themselves. This means they can’t change the locks and they can’t get someone else, like the police to evict you. There is a process that landlords have to follow.
On March 19, 2020, the Ontario government put an order in place that stops all evictions until court and tribunal offices open again. But if the landlord can convince the Superior Court of Justice that the situation is extremely urgent, the court might make an exception.
If your landlord is threatening to evict you now, there are a few things you can do:
  • Call the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU) at 1-888-772-9277 (toll-free) or 416-585-7214. The RHEU can contact your landlord to discuss the situation. They might be able to get your landlord to stop, or to let you back in if you’ve already been evicted illegally.
  • Call your local community legal clinic and tell them that what is happening. You can speak to a lawyer or legal worker for free. They might be able to contact your landlord, or make an urgent application to the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB). It’s best to get legal help if you want to go to the LTB. Their physical offices are closed during the COVID-19 emergency and they are only accepting certain types of applications.
  • If you can’t get legal help, you can make an urgent application to the LTB using their online Form T2. There is a $45 filing fee which you will have to pay by credit card or debit card.
  • Call the police non-emergency number. Sometimes police officers won’t get involved in this kind of situation. But many police forces are aware of the danger of illegal evictions during the COVID-19 crisis.
One housing lawyer has posted this more detailed list of suggestions if you think you are in danger of being evicted illegally.

It is best that you contact a community legal clinic for some advice regarding your situation. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link