Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Withholding tax and NR74 form 

LYL
LYL

Posted On: 7/8/2020
LYL
LYL
Hello everyone,

My dad and I landed in Canada in 2018/10, and I have been a student in Ontario since 2015. My dad and I have a condo rented in Toronto and we receive the rent from the management company every month. However, when I tried to file my 2019 tax return, I figured out the withholding tax was deducted from every month's bill. As a permanent resident in Canada and I also submitted the 2018 tax return as an Ontario Resident but the management company still required my NR74 form. My accountant company and my family thought this is unreasonable, even we send our PR card and my 2018 tax return as a resident of Ontario, they still not accept it and decided to deduct the withholding tax. Does anyone have the same experience or any advice? Appreciate any help, thanks again.

Regards
link

Posted On: 8/18/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation. You may want to contact a lawyer familiar with tax and housing law for some advice regarding your situation. You can find the nearest community legal clinic by using this tool here.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link