Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Ex spousal PR card 

Cultecfho
Cultecfho

Posted On: 8/25/2020
Cultecfho
Cultecfho
Hello,

I had sponsored my wife (at the time)who received her PR card back in June 2018 and she landed in canada in August 2018; stayed for 2 weeks then left canada. She came for 2-4 week intervals thereafter. During the course of time differences developed, it was found that here intentions for marriages were not genuine and the relationship fell apart, once she got her PR card she cut off communication. She has not returned to Canada since. In total she has spent around 3 months in canada since first being issued her PR card and her first visit back in August 2018. I have since applied for a divorce as of June 2020. My understanding is that divorce has no bearing on her PR card status. I had several questions:

1) If I believe her intentions vis a vis the terms of our marriage were fraudulent/non genuine do I need to report her?

2) Can she still come here and I would be responsible for her financially as part of my initial undertaking when I sponsored her (that I agree to support her for 5 years as part of her PR status) if she decides to come to canada.

3) if she fails to complete her time as stipulated by her PR card does it simply expire or can she reapply for one again despite no longer being my spouse.

4) can she renew her PR card status despite no longer being my spouse

Thanks

Culte
link

Posted On: 9/4/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

1) If I believe her intentions vis a vis the terms of our marriage were fraudulent/non genuine do I need to report her?

If you’d like to report what you suspect is immigration fraud, IRCC has an article on how to report fraud or abuse that may be helpful. Unfortunately, we cannot provide legal advice, but you may want to talk to a lawyer familiar with immigration and family law about marriage fraud. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

2) Can she still come here and I would be responsible for her financially as part of my initial undertaking when I sponsored her (that I agree to support her for 5 years as part of her PR status) if she decides to come to canada.

The sponsorship agreement is a legal contract signed with the government of Canada. As her sponsor you would be financially responsible for your partner, even if the marriage ends in divorce or separation.

3) if she fails to complete her time as stipulated by her PR card does it simply expire or can she reapply for one again despite no longer being my spouse.

Her PR card may expire, but she would still be eligible to renew her PR card if she meets the eligibility criteria. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?, I have not met my PR requirements, have I lost my PR status?, and Frequently Asked Questions about the Permanent Resident Card.

4) can she renew her PR card status despite no longer being my spouse

Yes, she can renew her PR status while no longer being your spouse. You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article How does divorce affect my immigration status?.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link