Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

How to end tenancy contract 

Sk77
Sk77

Posted On: 9/13/2020
Sk77
Sk77
I took this property Which is town house condominium on rent(standard lease) on 22nd of aug 2020.
I am new emigrant and landed on 24th.I had to complete my 14days quarantine in the same house.since day one the resident in the basement started harassing me and my two children that the boise if our normal walking is disturbing her.we had been walking in the house as normally as one should.she Macanese to my doorstep twice and yelled at us.knce she yelled in public from the basement outdoors.Ghen she started banging the ceiling during the day and middle of the night to annoy us.She played loud music in day and night to further annoy us.She once sent the police and then sent the security officer to scare us.It all happened in just first 39 days of our stay in the property.Also in this case we had shared all the recordings and events with landlord on regular basis and landlord had further shared with condominium board.Till date we have not received any resolution to the complaints. Now we want to vacate the property and amicably end the contract with the landlord.
Landlord is not agreeing to refund the October advance payment and also the security money.
What are my rights in this scenario.
link

Posted On: 9/21/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Regarding your security deposit, you might find helpful information in this Steps to Justice article. Here is an excerpt:

If you paid a security deposit when your tenancy started, your landlord is not allowed to keep it to pay for damage or cleaning. Your landlord can only use your security deposit to cover the rent for the last rental period before your tenancy ends. That is why security deposits are often called last month's rent deposits (LMR).

You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. If you do not qualify to receive services from a Community Legal Clinic, please contact the Landlord and Tenant Board directly.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link