Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

How to apply for citizenship without passport 

Ann1984
Ann1984

Posted On: 10/22/2020
Ann1984
Ann1984
Hello,

I have a friend who meets eligibility for Canadian citizenship application. However, he lost almost all of his ids. He only has a driver's license. He has reported to the police already. It requires the information of the passport for the previous 5 years in the citizenship application form. What would be the first step for him? His permanent resident card is also expiring.
link

Posted On: 10/29/2020
Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us.

In the Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1) there is an instruction guide and document checklist.

The document checklist states that if travel documents (e.g. passport, permanent resident travel document) are not in your possession, you may provide an explanation in question 14 on the application form. See Steps 3 and 4.14 in the instruction guide.

If you cannot provide a passport or travel document in your application, "you may be asked to provide additional documents later in the process which will delay the processing of your application."

You may wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice on how to proceed. If you are looking for further assistance with this application, you may find the Settlement.Org article Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer? helpful. You do not need representation to fill this application, but it can be helpful to seek professional advice specific to your situation. You may also find free or low-cost legal services on the StepstoJustice website.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link