Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Parent sponsorship 

Yama
Yama

Posted On: 12/13/2020
Yama
Yama
Hi there,

I have 3 kids and my husband is working fulltime job. I have my PR Card and my husband has his Canadian Citizenship card. I was wondering can I or my husband can sponsor my parents from Afghanistan to immigrate to Canada also there is no Canadian embassy in Afghanistan.

Thank you so much for any information.
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 12/14/2020
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
Hi,
Unfortunately, the 2020 interest to sponsor parents and grandparents form is closed now.
The most important requirement you need to meet is the income criteria.
Income required for the 3 tax years right before the day you apply (sponsors applying in 2021)

Income required for the 3 tax years right before the day you apply (sponsors applying in 2021)
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1445&top=14
Total number of people you’ll be responsible for

2020 2019 2018
2 people $32,899 $41,007 $40,379
3 people $40,445 $50,414 $49,641
4 people $49,106 $61,209 $60,271
5 people $55,695 $69,423 68,358
6 people $62,814 $78,296 $77,095
7 people $69,935 $87,172 $85,835

If more than 7 people, for each additional person, add: $7,121 $8,876 $8,740

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/eligibility.html

Embassy of Canada to Afghanistan, in Kabul

Address: Street No. 15, House No. 256, Wazir Akbar Khan, Kabul

Telephone: +93 (0) 701 108 800

Fax: +93 (0) 701 108 805

Email: [email protected]

Service(s) provided at this office:

• Citizenship services
  • Consular services
  • General enquiries
  • Notarial services
  • Passport services

Good luck
Thank you
Yama wrote:
Hi there,

I have 3 kids and my husband is working fulltime job. I have my PR Card and my husband has his Canadian Citizenship card. I was wondering can I or my husband can sponsor my parents from Afghanistan to immigrate to Canada also there is no Canadian embassy in Afghanistan.

link
srikokulan
srikokulan

Posted On: 12/18/2020
srikokulan
srikokulan
Hi, I am new to this Forum. I have a quick question. I sponsored my parents in 2012 and they landed in Canada February 2013 got landing card and PR card. in June 2013 they decided to go back to our home country Sri Lanka. if they want to comeback to Canada what are the option they have?
1- Apply permanent Residence again?
2-Super Visa
3-Renew the expired PR?

link

Posted On: 12/21/2020
srikokulan wrote:
Hi, I am new to this Forum. I have a quick question. I sponsored my parents in 2012 and they landed in Canada February 2013 got landing card and PR card. in June 2013 they decided to go back to our home country Sri Lanka. if they want to comeback to Canada what are the option they have?
2-Super Visa
3-Renew the expired PR?

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Based on information on the IRCC website, your parents will likely need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada.

According to the IRCC Help Centre article What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?:
If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

You may find useful information in the article on Settlement.Org, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)? Here is an excerpt:

To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period.

IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your parents staying outside of Canada for the time that they have. This is up to IRCC and it would be best for your mother to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about their specific application and what kind of supporting documents she may require.

You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice and assistance with this situation. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of free to low-cost programs and services in immigration law which may be helpful.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 12/22/2020
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
srikokulan wrote:
2-Super Visa
3-Renew the expired PR?

Hi,
Since your parents left Canada more than 7 years, they can face the risk of losing their PR status. But...See below:

Can I lose my permanent resident status?

Yes, you can lose your permanent resident (PR) status.
If you haven’t been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years, you may lose your PR status
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1468&top=10

You don’t lose your permanent resident status when your PR card expires. You can only lose your status if you go through an official process.
You can lose your permanent resident status if:
  • an adjudicator determines you are no longer a permanent resident after an inquiry or PRTD appeal;
  • you voluntarily renounce your permanent resident status;
  • a removal order is made against you and comes into force; or
  • you become a Canadian citizen.
Even if you don't meet the residency obligation, you are still a PR until an official decision is made on your status.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

So, your parents need first to attempt applying for a Permanent resident travel document:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html

Thank you.
link