Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Coming to Canada and COVID Restrictions 

Syphon74
Syphon74

Posted On: 12/28/2020
Syphon74
Syphon74
Hi everyone! It's been almost 5 years in this fight for having my COPR, Now I finally have it, I cannot enter because of covid19 restrictions, the web page only talk about COPR issued before march, but what happen with the rest of us? Are we going to have to wait more years to become residents? Or only we forget about it? I sold everything and quit my job and immigration only gives automatic responses. That's so sad
link
Goyal_rkg
Goyal_rkg

Posted On: 1/2/2021
Goyal_rkg
Goyal_rkg
I renounced my PR in November 2020. My whole family is still PR and in Canada.After how long my family can apply to sponsor me again for PR?
link

Posted On: 1/12/2021
Syphon74 wrote:
Hi everyone! It's been almost 5 years in this fight for having my COPR, Now I finally have it, I cannot enter because of covid19 restrictions, the web page only talk about COPR issued before march, but what happen with the rest of us? Are we going to have to wait more years to become residents? Or only we forget about it? I sold everything and quit my job and immigration only gives automatic responses. That's so sad

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We can understand why you may be concerned, and hope to provide some helpful information.

1. Travel Restriction Exemptions

Due to COVID-19, if your COPR was issued after March 18th, 2020, you will not be allowed to enter Canada unless you are exempt from the travel restrictions. Those who are considered exempt include:
a) An Immediate family member who was sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or
o The IRCC web page indicates that an immediate family is someone who is:
§ Spouse or common-law partner
§ Dependent child (yours, your spouse’s or your common-law partner’s)
§ Dependent child of a dependent child
§ Parent or step-parent (yours, your spouse’ or your common-law partner’s)
§ Guardian or tutor
b) If you’re currently living in the United States and will be coming directly to Canada

If you do not meet the exemption requirements, any travel to Canada will not be permitted, and you will need to wait until the restrictions are removed.

2. Update Contact Information

It is important for IRCC to be able to contact you with information about updates on your file. If your contact information has changed since your application has been sent, this is the web form you need to update for ease of communication. If you have already contacted IRCC before December 23rd, 2020, the website indicates that you are not required to fill out the form or contact them through the processing office email.

3. Current Policy Guidelines

Currently, there are no updates on the IRCC web page for those who received their COPR after March 18th, 2020. Unless IRCC contacts you with an update on your file, consider the current travel restrictions as the most up-to-date policy guidelines on the process of immigration for COPR holders until they update the policy guidelines.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team

This document does not contain legal advice.
This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Western University law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link

Posted On: 1/14/2021
Goyal_rkg wrote:
I renounced my PR in November 2020. My whole family is still PR and in Canada.After how long my family can apply to sponsor me again for PR?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. The following response assumes that you voluntarily renounced your permanent resident status and that you are not a protected person who is still living in Canada.

The answer to your question depends on what precisely happened in November 2020.

If you submitted your application in November 2020, it is possible that the application is still being processed. If that is the case, you will retain your permanent resident status (and thus cannot be sponsored) until the day your application to renounce your permanent resident status is approved. Once the application has been approved, you will be provided a document confirming that you no longer have permanent resident status.

If your application was approved in November 2020, then you are no longer a permanent resident. As a foreign national, you may be sponsored as a member of the family class or under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. There is no mandatory wait time between approval of your renouncement application and the start of a sponsorship application by a member of your family.

1. Family class
According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, you may be sponsored as a member of the family class if you are one of the following of a permanent resident of Canada:
(a) spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;
(b) a dependent child;
(c) mother or father;
(d) grandmother or grandfather;

You may also be sponsored as a member of the family class under certain more restricted circumstances. While you can see a full list of these circumstances in s.117(1) of the Regulations, we recommend that you speak with a lawyer or a licensed consultant familiar with Canadian immigration to assess your particular circumstances.

2. Spouse or common-law partner in Canada class
According to the Regulations, you may be sponsored as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class if you are the spouse or common-law partner of a permanent resident, cohabit with that person in Canada, and have temporary resident status in Canada. (If you renounce your permanent resident status while in Canada, you would have temporary resident status for six months from the day your application is approved.)

It is important to note that applicants in the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class must have valid temporary resident status on the date of application and on the date they receive permanent resident status. If an applicant decides to leave Canada during the application, his or her application may be affected.

Again, we strongly recommend that you seek legal help from a lawyer or a licensed consultant familiar with Canadian immigration to find out more information about your application and your potential options, as individual circumstances can be very different.

We hope that the information we provided was helpful to you. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

This document does not contain legal advice.
This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC University of Toronto law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link