Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLegal Services and Human Rights

Courts, Human Rights, Lawyers and Legal Representation, Community Legal Clinics, Legal Aid, Police...

Police Conduct 

DeeJay
DeeJay

Posted On: 1/4/2021
DeeJay
DeeJay
I was not home today and my 16 year old son came to the house with his girlfriend. The side door was locked so they entered my back yard to try the back door. A new neighbour called 911 thinking they were breaking in. The police came and immediately pulled their guns on my teen and yelled at him to lay on the ground etc and began questioning him for approx 5-10mins. This was eventually cleared up but the police never phoned me (home owner and parent) as well, my son is quite traumatized. I’m wondering if this is normal protocol to have guns drawn?
link

Posted On: 1/6/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It would be best to direct your question to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director, they are an independent agency that responds to complaints regarding the conducts, services and policies of police chiefs and officers. It may be helpful to also read their guide "How to Complain About a Police Officer or Police Policies in Ontario" which is available in several languages.

Therapy can also be helpful in processing difficult information and events like this one. You made an important first step by reaching out and recognizing the impact this experience has had on your son. We hope to provide you with helpful information that will connect you with some community resources you may be looking for.

If your son is in post-secondary school, he is eligible to call Kids Help Phone. Kids Help Phone is Canada’s only 24/7, national support service. They offer professional counselling, information and referrals and volunteer-led, text-based support to young people in both English and French.

You may also want to contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator, they may be able to refer you to community support and mental health services in your area.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Here are some resources from the Settlement.Org article, Where can I get help with my mental health?:
Find a Mental Health Professional
  • Mental Health Helpline - This free, confidential phone line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They provide information about mental health services in Ontario. Information is available in over 170 languages. Information by email or web chat is also available.
  • Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) - CMHA offers many different kinds of mental health services. You can find a local branch by searching by province or postal code.

There are more options listed in the article, feel free to browse for information. 211 will also be able to help tailor your options to your location and specific needs. Be sure to let the operator know what kind of support/services you are looking for and your location. (neighbourhood, postal code, or city).

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here. Take care, and let us know if you are looking for more information and/or support.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link