Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Can I re-apply for citizenship after 17 years? 

windsor123
windsor123

Posted On: 12 days ago
windsor123
windsor123
My family submit citizenship application in 2003 after physically living in Canada for 3 years as PR. In 2004 We sold the house and moved out of country and were not able to submit the supporting document within time frame requested by CIC. Application was closed. More than 17 years now, is it reasonable to re-submit new application?

Thanks for your guidance, stay safe and healthy!

windsor
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 11 days ago
PMM
PMM
Hi

windsor123 wrote:
My family submit citizenship application in 2003 after physically living in Canada for 3 years as PR. In 2004 We sold the house and moved out of country and were not able to submit the supporting document within time frame requested by CIC. Application was closed. More than 17 years now, is it reasonable to re-submit new application?

Thanks for your guidance, stay safe and healthy!

windsor

1. If you have been outside Canada for 17 years, you no longer meet your residency requirements (2 years residence in every 5)
2. You first have to sort out your permanent residence, by either applying for Permanent Resident Travel Document and prove that there were Humanitarian or Compassionate reasons why you remained outside Canada for 17 years, or enter Canada without being reported for not meeting your RO and remain for 2 years without leaving to become compliant with your RO (Resident Obligations) Note that you would have difficulty regarding health insurance and renewing your SIN number.
3. As to citizenship, you have to have lived in Canada for 3 years in the 5 years on the date you sign your application as a Permanent Resident, you aren't eligible for citizenship.
link