Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Parents sponsorship 

Violet
Violet

Posted On: 1/7/2021
Violet
Violet
Hello,
I am invited for parents sponsorship and my husband is going to be my co-signer but the problem is, his ex-wife sponsored her family 10 years ago ( her parents and two siblings)and according to my husband she did not have that much income to be able to support them without co-signer but she had never asked my husband to be her co-signer. And now we are just assuming she used my husband without permission and supported her family. So in that case how can we figure out when and exactly how many member of her family she has had sponsored? Because I have to fill out the application form for my parents and need all of those information?
link

Posted On: 1/29/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out! We will be happy to answer your question.

While co-signing for his ex-wife’s family does not prevent your husband from co-signing your family’s sponsorship, it is important to know how many people he may have a co-signed for, as this may affect whether or not he can co-sign for your family. Sponsorship is, essentially, a promise to support a person after they have immigrated to Canada. When co-signing, you take on the same obligations and must meet the same requirements as a sponsor. See the IRCC website for more information on co-signing a family sponsorship. Each person sponsored will, for example, increase the income requirements for your husband. Here, you can find a detailed chart of income requirements.

Your husband will remain financially responsible for all persons he sponsored as a co-signer for the duration of the term of commitment. If the sponsorship of his ex-wife’s family was ten years ago, he might no longer be financially responsible for some or all of these people, but if they benefited from social assistance, for any reason other than a disability, this would prevent your husband from co-signing any family sponsorships until that amount is repaid to the government. Social assistance includes, but is not limited to, things such as subsidized housing, tax credits, and childcare subsidies. You may find helpful information on the effect of social assistance on sponsorship on the IRCC website.

For parental sponsorships received before July 24, 2014, a sponsor, or co-singer, remains financially responsible for ten years. For other family members, this obligation is also ten years. See the IRCC website for more information on the duration of responsibility.

To find how many people your husband has co-signed for, you can file an Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) request online, unless you know for a fact it was just the two parents and two siblings. If you are fairly certain that your husband co-sponsored four people, and you are now sponsoring two people, then you need to determine if you have the sufficient income for the sponsorship. In the calculation, you must also include dependents in the household. You can find the requirements for the amount of income you and your husband must meet on the IRCC website.

So, the formula would be: the two parents of his ex-wife + her two siblings + you + your husband + the number of dependents in your home = the amount needed to meet the minimum necessary income.

An ATIP request requires proof of status in Canada, a five-dollar fee, and a consent form if you or someone else is making the request on your husband’s behalf. On the IRCC website, you can find further informationon making a request.

However, it is important to note that the processing of ATIP requests may be affected by delays due to the ongoing pandemic. You must still meet the deadline to apply or respond to the Invitation to Apply (ITA) for sponsorship. As such, this request should be filed as soon as possible, especially if the deadline in your ITA is soon.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
This document does not contain legal advice.

This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC University of Toronto law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link
patel.kirtan1
patel.kirtan1

Posted On: 2/3/2021
patel.kirtan1
patel.kirtan1
Hi,
In form imm5768e: “Financial evaluation for parents and grandparents sponsorship” que 14 asks for employment history: Que 1: In the column “Gross Income/Benefits for period”, should this number be the sum of gross income of all the years in the employment period?

Que 2: In the column “Family Size”, Should this number include the family members that are being sponsored in this application? Or It indicates the Family Size during that period of employment? See attached picture for reference below:

link
poojat
poojat

Posted On: 2/25/2021
poojat
poojat
Hi,
I applied for my other in PGP 2019.We selected her martial status as legally seperated as my father is not living with her and they donot have a divorce certificate . we submitted an affidavit as well stating the same. Now I recieved an email stating they need a legal document from court and affidavit will not work,there is no way ican contact my father and he will not co operate.
my mother is alone back home I need help.
link