Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Where can I get my fingerprints taken? 

diaspora
diaspora

Posted On: 1/8/2021
diaspora
diaspora
Hello Settlement Org., I have been asked today to provide to provide an original Police Clearance Certificate from Hong Kong, for my Permanent Residence Application here in Canada. The Hong Kong Police Force form for this (https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/11_useful_info/cert_no_crime_overseas.html#8) requires the original of a full set of my fingerprints be taken and certified by the police / law enforcement agency here in Canada.This is an urgent matter, as yesterday Immigration, Refugees Immigration and Citizenship Canada gave me to 7th April to have this provided. The bad relationship between Canada + Hong Kong (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/11/measures-to-support-hong-kong-residents-including-youth-to-come-to-canada.html) is also one that may make Hong Kong Police less than helpful in providing their services for a Police Clearance Certificate also. The measures announced by IRCC don't help me - as I am being sponsored by my Canadian husband + I have an open work visa. In case you wonder, I could go back to hong Kong to get fingerprints, but at great cost - 3 weeks in hotel quarantine there, 2 weeks in quarantine upon return to Canada; and, I would lose my Canadian job.
The Canadian issue is as follows: my local Police (Halton, Ontario) are only providing a local "vulnerable" fingerprinting services and suggest an accredited commercial company (which would not be acceptable to Hong Kong police Force, as they state, " Fingerprints taken by the applicants themselves, a legal representative or private / commercial agency will not be accepted.". Can you please outline how I can get an acceptable set of fingerprints here in Ontario, to mail to Hong Kong police, as their requirements appear very strict. Many thanks for your attention and assistance.
link
diaspora
diaspora

Posted On: 1/15/2021
diaspora
diaspora
Hello, hope this current information can help anyone in this situation (or for Moderators information). This problem arose because IRCC requested a Police Certificate for in-Canada PR application from our original country However, that country's Police Force first need a set of new Canadian Police fingerprints (not those already done for IRCC, RCMP or other purposes). This caused us alot of stress, as the police certificate has to be provided to IRCC within a specific time period - Here in Ontario our local Halton Police only provide fingerprints for local 'vulnerable' purposes , and, you can also not get these done by Toronto or Peel Police either. These Police Forces suggest using an "accredited agency", but that was not acceptable to our country of origin Police. The solution we found was only after phoning Hamilton Police and being put through directly to a department (their email reply from officer had already also suggested not available), to get these done by Hamilton Police Fingerprinting - the specific fingerprinting person there is very helpful on phone and when doing the work. Hopefully, if you are there that person can assist you. Also, the lesson is to not give up, not reply upon one person's answer at a specific location.
link
KingyoFR
KingyoFR

Posted On: 2/1/2021
KingyoFR
KingyoFR
Hi Diaspora,

Have you find a way to get your fingerprints made by canadian authorities ? I am in the same situation as you, I lived in Hong Kong for 6 years before coming here and I guess my last choice will be to have them done at the chinese embassy. Let me know if you get this sorted without having to flight over to HK, Thanks
link
diaspora
diaspora

Posted On: 2/1/2021
diaspora
diaspora
There are 2 solutions to this problem. 1) If you read what we posted before, you can see that we were able to get the fingerprints done at downtown Hamilton Police Station. You have to make sure you have an advance appointment + speak on phone to the actual person who does the work (not the front desk/phone officer -who will say service is not available). 2) Also, we contacted Hong Kong police - they eventually replied they would accept finger prints done by an accredited private company, one who works with the police here in Ontario. hope that helps!

KingyoFR wrote:
Hi Diaspora,

Have you find a way to get your fingerprints made by canadian authorities ? I am in the same situation as you, I lived in Hong Kong for 6 years before coming here and I guess my last choice will be to have them done at the chinese embassy. Let me know if you get this sorted without having to flight over to HK, Thanks
link
KingyoFR
KingyoFR

Posted On: 2/19/2021
KingyoFR
KingyoFR
thanks a lot for your answer Diaspora very useful. I hope you will receive your PR very soon.
link