Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

ODSP SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP 

RoxasTheNobody
RoxasTheNobody

Posted On: 1/16/2021
RoxasTheNobody
RoxasTheNobody
Hi there, I have a bit of an odd situation I hope you can help.

I've just received my Permanent Residencey!

My husband is on ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program) and he's sponsoring me as a permanent resident and I'm aware he's in a legally binding agreement to provide for my basic needs for a period of 3 years.

His ODSP worker is wanting to add me to his ODSP benefit unit which means that his ODSP would go up slightly and I'd be eligible for additional medical coverage and whatnot but I'm not entirely sure if that's supposed to happen due to the sponsorship agreement as I've read that if I as a sponsored immigrant claim any form of welfare during the sponsor period than my husband would owe it as a federal debt.

The ODSP worker said that this shouldn't be a problem because as a permanent resident I'm eligible for ODSP and also I'm also not the main recipient in the benefit unit so it shouldn't result in a debt.

I'm getting mixed messages as I don't think they have a clear indication on what the directives are and I don't want to do anything wrong in regards to the sponsorship agreement.

I hope you're able to help or give me some advice in regards to this!

Kind regards,
link
lorrdax
lorrdax

Posted On: 1/23/2021
lorrdax
lorrdax
Talk to a lawyer!
I am now in the situation that my worker told me I had to put my spouse who I sponsored on the benefit unit because we where living together.
That was 7 years ago only to be told recently that I broke my sponsorship agreement and have to pay them back! They tell you that they have to be put on it and then come after you for breaking the sponsor agreement that they made you break! We both where working as well and at no time did I ask for help or did he! This is the way they work tell you no problem then say you are the one that's at fault! See a lawyer and get advice and in writing! I am going after them for making me break the sponsor agreement!
link

Posted On: 2/5/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You can find detailed information on the policies and procedures regarding social assistance for sponsored people in the Ontario Works directive 3.11 for Sponsored Immigrants. We still suggest that you consult a community legal clinic or a lawyer for advice about your particular situation.

If you contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator, they may be able to refer you to community legal services in your area. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
asifali
asifali

Posted On: 3/24/2021
asifali
asifali
hi i have one question.
i take odsp .can i sponsor my brother to canada
i have canadian citizenship.
my kidney transplant in toronto .st.michael's hospital