Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeDaily Life

Communications, Consumer Protection, Personal Finance, Shopping, Transportation, Weddings and Funerals...

Survivor Benefits and CPP 

bogdankur00
bogdankur00

Posted On: 2/8/2021
bogdankur00
bogdankur00
Hello,
I am CPP recipient since July 2020 (my 65th birthday)
My online account (cpp) shows that I am not qualified (for my survivor) to get future death and survivor benefits. I had worked and contributed to CPP for 4+ years (2016-2020) and earned around $10,000 each year. As I understand the rules (" you must have contributed to the CPP for at least three years) I should qualify. Am I missing something? Btw: I have contributed to SS found for many years in the USA - would that help?.
link

Posted On: 3/31/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may want to contact Service Canada directly for information specific to your case, and advice on how to proceed.

If you are already a CPP recipient you will need your Social Insurance Number to be identified. Canada and the United States Toll-free: 1-800-277-9914 Canada and the United States TTY: 1-800-255-4786 The hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. local time, Monday to Friday. Outside Canada and the United States: 1-613-957-1954 (Call collect) The hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern time, Monday to Friday.

It is also a good idea that you connect with a community legal clinic for advice regarding your situation. You may want to connect with a community legal clinic near you. You can also find free or low-cost legal services relevant to the Canadian Pension Plan on Steps to Justice.

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get? on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link