Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Permanent Resident Travel Document 

Lilli
Lilli

Posted On: 2/27/2021
Lilli
Lilli
Hello, I have a question about the PRTD:
I applied for my PR but do not have the card yet . I am in Canada right now. I have to leave the country so I will have to apply for the PRTD after arriving in Germany. In the PRTD application form (IMM5524), question 8. asks for the date and place I became a permanent resident and number 9. asks for Record of Landing or Confirmation Of Permanent Resident number. I am not a permanent resident yet and do not have any of those numbers. I read on several websites that you are ok to leave the country when you do not have your PR card yet, as long as you apply for the PRTD right away after leaving the country.

But sine I do not have a Record Of Landing or COPR yet- Does that mean I cannot leave the country and apply for the PRTD ?

Thanks, Lilli
link

Posted On: 3/15/2021
Hello Lilli,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. You asked whether a person in your situation can apply for a PRTD. The answer depends on your status in Canada.

If you are a Permanent Resident of Canada you would have a Confirmation of Permanent Resident (COPR) document with a stamp on it and the officer's signature. If you are a PR of Canada but haven't received your PR Card yet, you may be able to leave and request a PRTD from abroad.

If you are not a Permanent Resident yet, you cannot apply for a PRTD: according to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), you can only apply for a PRTD if you:
  • are a permanent resident,
  • do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
  • are outside Canada, and
  • will return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus.

If you are in the process of applying for PR, before leaving, you may wish to consider the type of PR application you have submitted. For example, if you are being sponsored by your spouse or common-law partner who lives with you in Canada under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class, you should not depart Canada or your application may be refused.

In any event, to re-enter Canada, you must have all the required documents. Depending on your circumstances, the required documents may include:
  • a valid passport or other travel documents,
  • a valid work permit or study permit, if you need one, and
  • a valid visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), if you need one.

Germany is a visa-exempt country. If you are a German national, you will need an eTA (linked to your passport) for visiting and entry purposes.

IMPORTANT: During COVID the rules for entry to Canada are different and thus, you should ensure you have the necessary documentation before you depart Canada. For example, at this time only essential service personnel, certain study permit holders and immediate family members are allowed to enter Canada.

We hope that the information we provided is helpful to you. We would also recommend you seek legal help from a lawyer or a licensed consultant familiar with Canadian immigration to find more information about your particular circumstances.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

This response was prepared with the assistance of PBSC law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. This response does not contain legal advice. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link