Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Eviction 

Rdz
Rdz

Posted On: 3/9/2021
Rdz
Rdz
I’m being evicted over something so small. We share a kitchen/bathroom. My landlord had taken my medication and threw it in the garbage. She has made it a regular habit of moving and taking my things. The meds was the last straw and I confronted her about it. I was respectful about it and asked her to stop touching my things and then she gave me notice to move. I currently cannot afford to move. I’ve still been looking at places but a lot of them have very racist undertones and/or don’t respond.
link
RV
RV

Posted On: 3/15/2021
RV
RV
Hi, guys. Last March got N1 Form from Landlord informing of rent increase of 5.2% starting in July, 2020. Spoke to the maneger on a phone and wanted to object to it during hearing of The Board. They refused to provide date when their application was to be discussed. However, told me that will get back to me with The Board decision (never did). So, I thought that there were no rent increase and continued paying my rent as had being paying for last year.
In Feb., 2021, they gave me a letter indicating that I was in arears for $300.00 and change for last 6 months. When calculated it was an increase of 2.19%/month, not 5.2% as they wanted initially. Here is my question: since I had no clue about this exact increase and of cause was never notified of it in precise form, in 90 days prior to such increase, is it legal for them to claim such rent increase and threaten me to get evicted if I don't pay???
Thank you kindly
link

Posted On: 4/1/2021
Rdz wrote:
I’m being evicted over something so small. We share a kitchen/bathroom. My landlord had taken my medication and threw it in the garbage. She has made it a regular habit of moving and taking my things. The meds was the last straw and I confronted her about it. I was respectful about it and asked her to stop touching my things and then she gave me notice to move. I currently cannot afford to move. I’ve still been looking at places but a lot of them have very racist undertones and/or don’t respond.

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may want to first take a look at CLEO's Roommates tool which would help you figure out which laws apply to your situation and what your rights and responsibilities are as someone with shared living arrangements. The response/advice you receive may depend on whether or not you are considered a licensee, a head tenant, or a group individual tenants in the situation. It is best that you contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for advice specific to your situation. You can find the nearest one by using this tool here. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services in housing law that may be helpful. If you do not qualify to receive services from a Community Legal Clinic, please contact the Landlord and Tenant Board directly.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link

Posted On: 4/1/2021
RV wrote:
Hi, guys. Last March got N1 Form from Landlord informing of rent increase of 5.2% starting in July, 2020. Spoke to the maneger on a phone and wanted to object to it during hearing of The Board. They refused to provide date when their application was to be discussed. However, told me that will get back to me with The Board decision (never did). So, I thought that there were no rent increase and continued paying my rent as had being paying for last year.
In Feb., 2021, they gave me a letter indicating that I was in arears for $300.00 and change for last 6 months. When calculated it was an increase of 2.19%/month, not 5.2% as they wanted initially. Here is my question: since I had no clue about this exact increase and of cause was never notified of it in precise form, in 90 days prior to such increase, is it legal for them to claim such rent increase and threaten me to get evicted if I don't pay???
Thank you kindly

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

According to the Steps to Justice guide to rent increases, the 2020 rent increase guideline is 2.2% and the guideline for the year 2021 is zero percent. This means that there is a rent freeze from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021.

A rent increase guideline is the most a landlord can increase rent without applying to the Landlord and Tenant Board.

If your rent increase meets the guideline, here is an excerpt on the rules your landlord must follow:
To give you a guideline rent increase, your landlord must follow these rules:
12 months apart: After you move in, your landlord must wait at least 12 months before raising your rent. And any increases after that also must be at least 12 months apart.
90 days' written notice: Your landlord must give you a written notice at least 90 days before your rent goes up. This notice should be on one of the forms from the Landlord and Tenant Board. If your landlord does not use the Board's form, the notice could still be valid if it includes all the information that is on the Board's form.

For increases above the guideline, your landlord may take the following actions:
If your landlord applies for an above-guideline increase, the Board will schedule a hearing. Your landlord must give you a copy of the application and a Notice of Hearing at least 30 days before the hearing.
You and other tenants affected by the application have the right to challenge your landlord's application at the hearing. For example, you might be able to argue that the work done by your landlord was not needed or did not cost what your landlord says it did.
After hearing from you and your landlord, the Board will decide how much of a rent increase it will allow.
If your landlord makes this kind of application, try to get legal help. There is information about where to get legal help in section Where to get help.

You may want to contact the Landlord and Tenant Board for general information about landlord and tenant issues at 1(888)332-3234. You may also want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You can find the nearest one by using this tool here. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services in housing law that may be helpful.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link