Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship Application and Living Abroad 

felixtae
felixtae

Posted On: 3/12/2021
felixtae
felixtae
I have submitted an application for citizenship half a year ago. It is now being processed. I am wondering if I can depart from the country for 1 year later this year. My father passed away last year in January. It was planned to return to my country in summer to take care the inheritance process, which needs to be done through the courthouse. It has not been done for very obvious reasons. I planned to go back for a year this summer to finish the court process as well as to sort out and repair the family properties. Can I leave for the whole year? Would this void or invalidate my citizenship application?

Thanks.
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 3/12/2021
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
felixtae wrote:
I have submitted an application for citizenship half a year ago. It is now being processed. I am wondering if I can depart from the country for 1 year later this year. My father passed away last year in January. It was planned to return to my country in summer to take care the inheritance process, which needs to be done through the courthouse. It has not been done for very obvious reasons. I planned to go back for a year this summer to finish the court process as well as to sort out and repair the family properties. Can I leave for the whole year? Would this void or invalidate my citizenship application?

Thanks.

Hi,
According to the IRCC, you need to be available for the test if you need to pass one as well as for the oath ceremony. In the case you are not available, you need to provide them with an explanation.
Check the link below:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test.html

You may be invited to take the citizenship test within weeks after we send you the acknowledgement of receipt (AOR) letter.
About 1 to 2 weeks before the test, we’ll send you a notice with the date, time and location.

Check your junk folder for our emails
  • If you gave us your email address in your application, we’ll contact you by email.
  • To avoid missing our emails, check your junk or spam folder.
  • Look for messages from email addresses ending in “@cic.gc.ca.”

If you’re not available on the day of your appointment, send us a message to explain why and get a new date. If you don’t give an explanation or your explanation isn’t reasonable, we may stop processing your application and not grant you citizenship. You can either:
  • email or write to the local office that sent you the notice or
  • use the online web form
Generally, once we receive your e-mail or letter, we’ll schedule your appointment on a different date. We’ll let you know by email if you gave us your email address or mail you a letter if we don’t have your email address.

Thank you.
Lahbib
link
ekamthakur
ekamthakur

Posted On: 3/29/2021
ekamthakur
ekamthakur
Hello,

I will be submitting my citizenship application in May 2021. Do I need to raise Web Forms every time I leave Canada for more than 2 weeks after I have submitted my application package?

Thanks,
Ekam
link