Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeDaily Life

Communications, Consumer Protection, Personal Finance, Shopping, Transportation, Weddings and Funerals...

Foreign Driving License exchange 

ramkumar14
ramkumar14

Posted On: 4/20/2021
ramkumar14
ramkumar14
I am an Indian Citizen, currently leaving in Singapore for over 5 years. My ICT visa application is in process. I would like to understand on how I can get a Driving license in Canada once I relocate. I have already gone online on the options for exchanging a foreign license with an Ontario license. Below is my situation.

- My Indian Driving license which I have had since 1999 has expired in 2019. Given the Covid situation, I have not been able to go to India to renew at and there seems to be no online option to renew it as well.

- I have had a Singapore Driving license since 2017 and is valid till 2022. Am I allowed to use this license / experience credits for the exchange process?

- If I can use the Singapore Driving license, do I still need a written confirmation letter. I am not sure if I am eligible to get that or if that is only provided to Singaporean citizens.

Looking for your advice here.
link

Posted On: 5/7/2021
I am an Indian Citizen, currently leaving in Singapore for over 5 years. My ICT visa application is in process. I would like to understand on how I can get a Driving license in Canada once I relocate. I have already gone online on the options for exchanging a foreign license with an Ontario license. Below is my situation.

- My Indian Driving license which I have had since 1999 has expired in 2019. Given the Covid situation, I have not been able to go to India to renew at and there seems to be no online option to renew it as well.

- I have had a Singapore Driving license since 2017 and is valid till 2022. Am I allowed to use this license / experience credits for the exchange process?

- If I can use the Singapore Driving license, do I still need a written confirmation letter. I am not sure if I am eligible to get that or if that is only provided to Singaporean citizens.

Looking for your advice here.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I have a driver's licence from another country. How do I get an Ontario driver's licence? regarding the license exchange process. You would want to use your most recent license for this exchange.

According to the Ministry of Transportation:

If you are visiting Ontario for less than 3 months and want to drive while you’re here, you can use a valid driver’s licence from your own province, state or country.
You will also need to:
  • be at least 16 years old
  • have proper insurance coverage for the vehicle you will drive
  • carry an original (or exact) copy of the vehicle ownership permit
  • obey traffic laws, drive safely and avoid collisions when you drive

If you will be visiting from another country for more than 3 months, you will need an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) from your own country.
This is a special licence that allows motorists to drive internationally when accompanied by a valid driver’s licence from their country.
You need to have this permit with you when you arrive in Ontario. You cannot apply for one once you are here.

You may want to read the article, Is the International Driver's Permit (IDP) valid in Canada? for more information.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link