Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Health coverage 

mona67
mona67

Posted On: 5/3/2021
mona67
mona67
Good morning,

This is my situation; my dad is in Ontario with me since Dec 2012 After my mom passed away and being the only child alive, I brought my dad here on visitor visa. For the first 5 years I paid health insurance and after that I couldn't afford the payment and at that time I was not eligible for sponsorship. I applied on Humanitarian and Compassionate ground and I was declined. On 2019 I became eligible to sponsor my dad and I applied. The application is still in process. Unfortunately, 4 days ago, my dad fell and broke his hip. He had the surgery and he is still recuperating in the hospital. I believe the cost will be very high. Do you know with who I can talk to or who can help me ? I forgot to mention that my dad is 90 years old.
Thank you kindly,

Monica
link

Posted On: 5/26/2021
Hi there Monica,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may be interested in looking for financial assistance that your father is eligible for. We have a few articles on financial assistance, low-cost healthcare options, and private health insurance but the eligibility requirements may vary between programs. We suggest that you reach out to a local settlement agency near you for assistance on finding programs he is eligible for. A number of settlement services are providing intake appointments online and over the phone in this time of need. You may want to connect with a settlement agency using our Services Near Me section.

It may help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link