Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Canadian Citizen Moving to Canada While Pregnant 

jwlondon
jwlondon

Posted On: 5/5/2021
jwlondon
jwlondon
Hello,

My family and I are hoping to move home to Toronto in August (2021), at which point I will be 6-7 months pregnant. We will be permanently relocating to Ontario, having lived in the UK for the past 11 years. My husband and I grew up in Ontario and we are all (including young son) Canadian citizens.

My question is about OHIP coverage for pregnancy / delivery. I understand the OHIP 3 month waiting period has been waived at present, but want to confirm that this means I can receive coverage for maternity care through OHIP - not just Covid treatment. If I plan to renew my previous OHIP card (expired in 2014) immediately upon my relocation in August (and post-quarantine) will I be able to receive an OHIP card and coverage for maternity care right away? I am due in early November.

Thanks for your help!
link

Posted On: 5/26/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

If you have an expired OHIP Health Card, you may continue to use that to access health services. This means you can access all OHIP-covered services with your expired card. If members of your family do not have an Ontario health card, and are eligible for OHIP, you may apply at a local Service Ontario centre.

You may also find information in the Settlement.Org article, What documents do I need to apply for a Health Card (OHIP)? Feel free to also contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 or use their online contact form for more information.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link