Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Can I renew my OHIP and Drivers Licence Online? 

Newuser
Newuser

Posted On: 6/14/2021
Newuser
Newuser
My driver's license expire on 2024, but my OHIP card expired on March 2021.
If I apply for renewing OHIP card. It will also force me to renew my Driver's license.

Can I renew OHIP card only online?
link

Posted On: 6/21/2021
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Due to the current situation with COVID-19, you may not need to renew your health card. Expired health cards will be accepted by Ontario health care providers.

According to Service Ontario’s COVID-19 notice:
Please note: we have extended validation to expired and expiring health cards. You do not need to renew at this time.

A drivers licence is necessary to renew your health card online. But, if you cannot renew online, Service Ontario recommends that you continue using an expired card to access health services. Feel free to also contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for more information.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to also post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Katryn
Katryn

Posted On: 11/23/2021
Katryn
Katryn
Most of the people needing to renew a health card who do not drive are elderly or disabled. Do you not realize that these are exactly the people who find it hard to go to a Service Canada office to apply in person?
It is totally illogical that one can only only apply for both a health card and driver’s license together online.
link

Posted On: 11/30/2021
Katryn wrote:
Most of the people needing to renew a health card who do not drive are elderly or disabled. Do you not realize that these are exactly the people who find it hard to go to a Service Canada office to apply in person?
It is totally illogical that one can only only apply for both a health card and driver’s license together online.

Hi there,

While it is unfortunate you cannot renew your health card online without a drivers license, if you want to avoid visiting a Service Ontario in person, it is recommended that you continue using an expired card to access health services. If you do not have a health card at all, you may have to visit a Service Ontario in person. Feel free to also contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for advice specific to your situation.

The Ministry of Health also accepts questions directly on their website, if you feel passionately about this matter, you may also wish to connect with your M.P.P. by writing them a letter. You can find information on how to contact your local representative for provincial parliament on the Ontario Legislative Assembly website.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Jjote
Jjote

Posted On: 11/14/2022
Jjote
Jjote
My son’s health card expired 2021, so is his drivers license. He has been out of Canada since Nov. 2018 but because of the pandemic, he could not return and until now he is still outside Canada. Can he renew his health card online - he does not need to renew his drivers license as he is disabled (since 2017), He has a mobility disorder so he cannot drive anymore. He wants to return soon to Canada and access health services. Or, if he cannot renew OHIP online, and returns to Canada can he access health services with his expired health card.
link