Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card validity 

Nancy26
Nancy26

Posted On: 6/19/2021
Nancy26
Nancy26
Hello team
I am currently outside Canada and my PR card will expire in Sep 2021 (my citizenship application processing is underway, processing is over, supposed to write citizenship exam but could not since I am not present in Canada). I am planning to fly back in July 2021. With the current PR card, is it possible to re-enter Canada? How much validity is required on PR card for re-entry? Kindly advise.
link

Posted On: 6/21/2021
Hi there,

In terms of travelling, permanent residents can only use a valid PR Card or Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada. Usually, a Travel Document can only be used once. In case your PR card expires while you are abroad, you may want to read more about travelling without one in this Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

Here is an excerpt:
The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

If you are entering Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, and you do not present your PR card, you may be able to show other immigration documents.

For updated information on travel rules and restrictions, we recommend that you visit the Government of Canada website on COVID-19 updates for travel, quarantine, and borders. You may also want to contact the IRCC Call Centre or use their web form for advice specific to your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 6/23/2021
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
Nancy26 wrote:
Hello team
I am currently outside Canada and my PR card will expire in Sep 2021 (my citizenship application processing is underway, processing is over, supposed to write citizenship exam but could not since I am not present in Canada). I am planning to fly back in July 2021. With the current PR card, is it possible to re-enter Canada? How much validity is required on PR card for re-entry? Kindly advise.

Hi,
The PR card is valid for five years, upon renewal of your PR Card, you should have accumulated at least 2 years of residency in Canada within that 5 years period.
Your current PR card is still valid until Sep. 2021, and you are planning to travel to
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 6/23/2021
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
Your current PR card is still valid until Sep. 2021, and you are planning to travel to Canada in July 2021. As long as you accumulated 2 years of Canadian residency during the last five years, I believe you can use your PR card to enter Canada before it expires.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=065

Thank you
Lahbib
link