Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Can I count time spent in Canada before PR? 

Ptipatu
Ptipatu

Posted On: 7/2/2021
Ptipatu
Ptipatu
Hello!

I've just got my COPR (confirmation of PR) in June 2021 and waiting for the PR card to be mailed to my address. I actually has been living and working (work permit) in Canada for three years before submitting my PR application and I have never been out of Canada as of today. I' wondering if those three year can be counted towards to 730 days PR residency obligation for the first 5-year, if yes HOW?

Much appreciate in advance!
link
Ptipatu
Ptipatu

Posted On: 7/5/2021
Ptipatu
Ptipatu
hello, any one who can help on this?
link

Posted On: 7/5/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find helpful information in our Settlement.Org article What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.

The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. For PR renewal, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years from that date. You may also find helpful information on this matter in the previous discussion forum thread, When does the 5-year period begin?

We hope this information is helpful. You may want to seek the advice a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for information specific to your situation. You may also wish to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form for general information and advice regarding PR renewal.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Ptipatu
Ptipatu

Posted On: 7/6/2021
Ptipatu
Ptipatu
thank you!
Moderator wrote:
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find helpful information in our Settlement.Org article What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.

The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. For PR renewal, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years from that date. You may also find helpful information on this matter in the previous discussion forum thread, When does the 5-year period begin?

We hope this information is helpful. You may want to seek the advice a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for information specific to your situation. You may also wish to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form for general information and advice regarding PR renewal.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
prashantgupta8055
prashantgupta8055

Posted On: 7/15/2022
Hi, I am traveling to my home country and would like to carry a valid proof of meeting residency obligation. What counts as proof in case officer asks for it at the port of entry?

Please help

Thanks!
link