Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Physical presence 

Sedat gunaydin
Sedat gunaydin

Posted On: 8/6/2021
Sedat gunaydin
Sedat gunaydin
Hi everyone
My question is : I came to Canada July 2012 as a visitor with Visa.
After 3 months I apply to Refugee Claim.
April 2018 they gave me positive decisions.
And June 2019 I got the Pr Card.
Now I going to apply Canadian Citizenship. But
When I calculate my dates which day is my first day : first day in Canada July 2012 or
After positive decision.
I mean;
Are the days before the court decision counted?
Thanks
link

Posted On: 8/30/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question on the discussion forum.

IRCC developed a Physical Presence Calculator resource that may help you calculate this requirement for citizenship. Please note, the residency requirement for citizenship requires physical presence in Canada for 1,095 days. Here is an excerpt:

To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the five years immediately before the date of your application. We encourage applicants to apply with more than the minimum requirement of 1,095 days of physical presence, to account for any miscalculations of absences, or any other aspect that could lower the physical presence total below 1,095 days. Please note that you cannot meet the physical presence requirement without a minimum of two (2) years as a permanent resident.
When calculating your time in Canada:
  • only the five (5) years immediately before the date of your application are taken into account;
  • each day you were physically present in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day (up to a maximum of 365 days);
  • each day you were physically present in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day;
  • time spent serving a sentence for an offence in Canada (e.g. serving a term of imprisonment, probation and/or parole) cannot be counted towards your physical presence - there are some exceptions.

Each day you spent physically present in Canada as a protected person before becoming a permanent resident counts as half a day towards your residency requirement up to a maximum of 365 days. You may want to contact IRCC using their web form to make a case-specific inquiry. You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation and help with your application.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link