Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Leaving Canada for an extended period of time 

martes
martes

Posted On: 8/31/2021
martes
martes
Hello,
I have become a permanent resident of Canada recently. However I will need to leave Canada for a few years to join my new job outside of the country. I saw online that I will need to notify the IRCC about my leaving the country. Can anyone please tell me how should I notify them? Also where can I find the details of this procedure?
Thank you.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 9/1/2021
PMM
PMM
HI

martes wrote:
Hello,
I have become a permanent resident of Canada recently. However I will need to leave Canada for a few years to join my new job outside of the country. I saw online that I will need to notify the IRCC about my leaving the country. Can anyone please tell me how should I notify them? Also where can I find the details of this procedure?

Thank you.

1. You only notify CIC about leaving Canada when you have a citizenship application in progress, PRs don't inform CIC.
2. Remember you must continue to meet your residency obligations by residing in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period.
link